Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Strange Issue with Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just throwing a thought out there to the original poster. Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
My battery was bad after only three years but that is probably because I didn't drive the car as much as I probably should have. Sitting around is hard on batteries unless you have a trickle charger hooked up. These newer vehicles also use battery power when they sit because of all of the electrical crap that is on them that run even when the car is off. I would replace the battery and see if that helps because at six years old, yours probably doesn't have much life left.

Wayne
I will probably end up replacing the battery. I hope that fixes it. I don't know if I will get that lucky or not. But it never hurts to have a new battery I guess lol. Thank you for all your help

Originally Posted by Taz
Just throwing a thought out there to the original poster. Maybe a bad ground somewhere?
I was wondering that myself. I cleaned the one under the airbox and it was really rusted and corroded but that didn't fix my problem Do you have any recommendations on other grounds to check?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Default Dash Cluster Reset

Hi All...

02 Monte SS

Having same issue as described in this thread. Anyone come up with any solutions yet?

Just got the car a week ago.

Awaiting speed sensor harnesses for replacement.
Will test battery.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Skurpio
Hi All...

02 Monte SS

Having same issue as described in this thread. Anyone come up with any solutions yet?

Just got the car a week ago.

Awaiting speed sensor harnesses for replacement.
Will test battery.

Any other ideas?
I have tried cleaning the ground under the air box and that didn't fix it either. I also put in a new ignition switch for separate problems I was having and I had hoped that would fix it but it didn't. However my car also recently started randomly displaying "Service Traction System" in the message center. I scanned the code and it was "Pump motor short to ground" I forget the number of the code. Anyway when I checked the ground wire for the ABS pump sure enough it had rubbed through in two places. I am not sure if this could effect the dash as well as the ABS or not. But fixing the ground did fix the ABS issue and I am waiting to see if my dash "resets" itself again. It is a very annoying problem and it is totally random. I know how annoying it is and hopefully we can figure this out.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Default Dash Cluster Reset & ABS/Traction Issue

Let me preface this reply with the following statement. "I know next to nothing about cars and am the least mechanically inclined person I know!"

Now on to my questions:

*cleaning the ground under the air box
Where is the ground under the Air Box? I suppose the Air Box is box where the Air Intake filter is located. Is that correct? I have a K&N open Air Filter.

*new ignition switch for separate problems
What other problems if I may ask? I am debating on changing out the ignition switch in my Monte as well due to the fact that the car only has 1 key and it is a copy (like from home depot) rather than a master. And I have to jiggle it sometimes before it will turn in the cylinder.

*randomly displaying "Service Traction System" in the message center.
I am receiving this as well where the Trac Off light and ABS light come on and the car dings. I have received the harnesses for replacement; however I am leaning now to replacing the hubs in the front as this issue seems to happen a little more often. It used to be just when I would turn right from a stop like backing out of the driveway or in a parking lot. But now it is starting to happen when I'm going straight as well.

*"Pump motor short to ground" I forget the number of the code. Anyway when I checked the ground wire for the ABS pump sure enough it had rubbed through in two places. I am not sure if this could effect the dash as well as the ABS or not. But fixing the ground did fix the ABS issue
Again I ask where the ground is? I am "guessing" that the grounds are wires, from these various electronic parts, running to bolts attached to the frame or other metal body parts. Would that be a correct assumption?

If anyone has any pics regarding these ground connections along with recommended instructions on cleaning I would appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:27 PM

I just bought a 02 Monte Carlo. Having the same issues going down the road the gauges reset, dinging noise as if you just started the car, and now there is some crackling sounds coming back through the stereo. Also there is no power to the rearview mirror so On-Star does not work on it. Any ideas?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by carissalbarnes
I just bought a 02 Monte Carlo. Having the same issues going down the road the gauges reset, dinging noise as if you just started the car, and now there is some crackling sounds coming back through the stereo. Also there is no power to the rearview mirror so On-Star does not work on it. Any ideas?
Sounds like a ground issue.