Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): steering rack time

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default steering rack time

just looking for any helpful info from anyone else who has replaced their own rack... i have it unbolted from the subframe but cant figure out what size the nuts are on the pressure lines from the pump. anybody know? also, any time saving tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks, guys!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Thumbs up MCF Search Engine >Top of each MCF Page<

Check out the below...I hope it helps
Rack and pinion job - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast ...

montecarloforum.com › ... › General Forums › Monte Carlo Repair Help

Apr 23, 2012 - Rack and pinion is bad and won't to fix before I get rims put on and was wondering how much am I looking at to spend ? ... 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3800 N/A See website for MOD List ... Slip grill painted OEM Victory red with 2007 Chevy logo ... Ireplaced the power steering pump because I stupidly listened to ...6th Gen ('00-'05): Steering Rack Replacement
Jan 23, 2013

Rack and Pinion Replacement
Mar 27, 2010

More results from montecarloforum.com

Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  • Remove or disconnect the following:
    CAUTION
    Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft may result in damage to the steering gear. This damage may cause a loss of steering control and may cause personal injury.

NOTE
    Set the steering shaft so that the block tooth on the upper steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position. The wheels should be straight ahead. Set the ignition key lock to the LOCK position. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the SIR coil assembly.

Negative battery cable

Front wheels

Intermediate steering shaft lower pinch bolt from the steering gear stub shaft

Intermediate steering shaft

Both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles

• Support the frame at the center rear.
    NOTE
    DO NOT lower the frame too far. Engine components near the firewall may be damaged.

Frame bolts from the rear of the frame. Lower the frame slightly

Power steering pressure line from the steering gear

Power steering return hose

Magnasteer Variable Assist electrical connector from the power steering gear assembly, if equipped

Steering gear mounting bolts

Power steering gear through the left wheel opening

Fig. Common rack and pinion steering gear mounting

To install:
  • Install or connect the following:

Power steering gear through the left wheel opening

Mounting bolts and torque them to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm)

Magnasteer Variable Assist electrical connector to the power steering gear assembly, if equipped

Power steering lines with new O-rings to the steering gear. Torque the fasteners to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

Power steering return hose

• Raise the rear frame to its original position.
  • Install or connect the following:

New rear frame bolts and torque them to 133 ft. lbs. (180 Nm) on all models except Impala and Monte Carlo models. On Impala and Monte Carlo models, align the frame to the body by inserting two 19 x 203 mm (0.74 x 8.0 in) pins in the alignment holes on the right side of the frame. Tighten the front bolts to 118 ft. lbs. (160 Nm) and the rear bolts to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm)

Tie rod ends to the steering knuckles and torque the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)

Intermediate steering shaft to the steering gear stub shaft and torque the lower pinch bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm)

Front wheels

Negative battery cable

• Fill and bleed the power steering system.
  • Start the vehicle and check for leaks, repair if necessary.
  • Check the front end alignment and adjust as needed.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks guys. I got it out before I saw these replies. 18mm bolts on the rack and 18mm nuts on the pressure lines (easier to get at with a flared wrench once you drop the cradle a little bit. Now I just have to get the new one in and put it all back together.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Thumbs up >Good Luck<

Good Luck Timmy...Let us know how it went ? Don't 4-get to get it aligned when completed