Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Starter Wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Default Starter Wires

We replaced the engine and have most of the wire connections back in place and ground wires, however there are 3 wires near the starter that we are unsure of the location, some help or pictures would be great. We have a 2007 3.5l

Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Brandon.
Please describe the wires (Thickness, color of coating, type connector, how are they routed? from above or below?) Pictures would help. I had a similar problem after replacing the transmission on my '03 SS (Different motor than yours, but still has the 4T65E transmission). I have a feeling the wires your referring to are ground wires/cable that should connect to a stud bolt connecting the transmission and engine near the top, forward area of the drivers side under the air duct. Below are some pictures of that connection in a previous thread I contributed to. You can click on the photos to enlarge them and see a large diameter cable and two smaller diameter wires linked to one loop connector are connected to the stud.

See the thumbnail photos(2) included in one of my posts on this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...ne-swap-54671/

After you get the wires correctly landed, whether these are the wires your referring to or not you will need to do a Security Re-learn Procedure.
Here's a link to that procedure: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rocedure-8598/

Last edited by plumbob; 01-03-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 01-13-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm Brandon's dad. The wires he is referring to are two thicker positive wires, they have red coating on them and the terminals are ring type. Our question had to do with the positioning of those 2 wires on the starter as the starter has 2 possible locations for the wires. The third wire actually was just a plug and wasn't really in question.

After watching a multitude of videos it was determined that the two red wires went on the same post on the starter. Oddly enough though none of the starters had the plug that ours has, they all had the same wire with a ring terminal. The plug is a smaller brown wire.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad you got it worked out