Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

stalls when starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Default stalls when starting

K guys I know I have not posted in a while but I hope you guys will help out. My monte is having trouble starting. sometimes it will start no problem, sometimes it will start but miss really bad for a lil bit and recover, and then sometimes it wont turnover at all, after about three tries it usually will start. What can be going on here? Is there a starting relay that could be going bad? I had a similar issure with a blazer a while back and that was the problem. I put a new fuel filter in about a yr ago so its not a plugged filter. I tried doin some searches but didnt really come up with much. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Default RE: stalls when starting

I have had this problem on two cars. If the throttle body has never been cleaned, clean it!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 AM

[align=center]Hi `Jason,[/align][align=center]Sorry 2 read that you are having problems with your Monte.[/align][align=center]Is it throwing any codes ? Have you had it checked[/align][align=center]at a auto parts store for any codes ?[/align][align=center]Below are some of the problems with the[/align][align=center][:-]
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Reliability Rating

Occasional problems with this vehicle are failures of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming and the Wiring System. Failure of the PCM Programming is identified in TSB # 01-06-04-018A. The cost to reprogram the PCM is estimated at $65.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Wiring System is estimated at $5.00 for parts and $52.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Transmission & Driveline

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) and the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector. Failure of the Transmission PCS is identified in TSB # 00-07-30-002B. Failure of the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is identified in TSB # 02-07-30-022B. The cost to repair the Transmission PCS is estimated at $45.61 for parts and $273.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is estimated at $10.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Steering & Suspension

Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Brakes

Heating & Air Conditioning

Starting & Charging
[:-][:-]
An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing Assembly, which causes a problem in the Theft Deterrent System. The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder Housing is estimated at $289.65 for parts and $104.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or applicable taxes.

Accessories

An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Body Control Module. The cost to replace the Body Control Module is estimated to be $190.00 and $65.00 for labor. Prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
[/align][align=center]I hope that other MCF Members willpost their opinions/solutions.[/align][align=center]It's difficult to define the problems of a Monte, just by[/align][align=center]the written word. We just try to give our best opinion/solutions.[/align][align=center][font="times new roman"][color=#0000ff][size=4]Good Luck `Jason, & Happy

Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 AM

I just had that problem yesterday. Sitting at a set of lights, car was idling rough, it died. Tried to start, and it wouldn't turn over, or when it finally did, it would idle rough, shake the whole car, than stall again. Turned out to be a bad wire, and was causing it to not fire at times, which messed up everything else. I would try the throttle body, and maybe a new set of wires, or spare ones if you got any kicking around

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM

i had to clean the T/B
and also ran some sea foam threw the car.
Also replaced the plugs and wires.

could out after all of this that it was a cobination of the above and also the cat. convertr was plugging up on me but this was the stock version.
and since has been replaced

Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 AM

Just a quick question. Would the cat be a cause of an intermitten problem. Like if its fine for a day, than the next it runs horrible, than hour after its running fine again. make sense?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 AM
Default Starting Problems

Originally Posted by J_Bru_Ha_SS
K guys I know I have not posted in a while but I hope you guys will help out. My monte is having trouble starting. sometimes it will start no problem, sometimes it will start but miss really bad for a lil bit and recover, and then sometimes it wont turnover at all, after about three tries it usually will start. What can be going on here? Is there a starting relay that could be going bad? I had a similar issure with a blazer a while back and that was the problem. I put a new fuel filter in about a yr ago so its not a plugged filter. I tried doin some searches but didnt really come up with much. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.
I also have this problem on my 01' Monte Carlo SS. From what i have found in my research I believe it to be the passlock security system. Mine will on occasion not start. You turn the key, the lights work, all the bells and whistles, just won't engage starter. I tried a "Passlock Reset" That you can look up online, however it did not work for me as described onlline.
I just found this not sure if it works
"Place vehicle in park, shut off ignition get out of the car, lock it. unlock get back in insert key to acc, turn lights on and off 3 times then turn ignition off and on to start the engine." Somebody online said it really worked on their blazer.
There is also a company newrockiesinc that you can look up online that they sell a passlock bypass for $249 that is lifetime guarantee, just be sure to read the disclaimer. Please let me know what you find out as I still have not solved my problem either, have you?