Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Default stalling out

I have a 85 Monte Carlo and everytime I put it in gear except park it stalls out and I have to restart which it will fire right back up. The only way I can keep it from dying is keep the foot on a lil bit of the gas and the brake and it won't die but I am affraid I will burn out my tranny. I need this car for work so please help me. What can it be? Thank you

Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM

How's the weather? Maybe it just needs to get warmed up. With these older cars it's not just a 1,2,3 and go on your way. These still have a thing called a carburetor! I know it seems wierd, but for people like me and you these things STILL exist! If it still dies when it gets warm it would be as easy as an idle adjustment..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

My car is fuel injected and it does it when it is warmed uip. How would I adjust the idle it is a 4.3 motor?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM

You cant adjust the idle on that. I would say it is time for a scanner. There could be about 15 different things wrong. Coolant temp sensor? TPS? and so on. With 4.3 I would look at the coolant temp, get a scanner on it.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 AM

I thought the same thing I have already replaced the coolant temp sensor it didn't work it still stalls out. A friend told me to check the tps but from what I am getting on the net my idle should be out of whack if that was goin out or bad and its not it idles fine. It just that when you put it in gear it dies. But if the car is cold than it don't so maybe that info will help.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Next, look at the IAC ( idle air control ) motor. It might not be seating due to carbon. Pull it out and clean it, dont try to turn it as you will strip the gear. Clean the head and the seat inside. The IAC screws in and out as the engine idles, more/less air coming into the engine. It has to be able to seat in order to find the bottom. Carbon is a big issue with the 4.3 lit. One thing that will do that car a world of good would be a carbon cleaning. You can get the can and do it yourself. I like the ac delco stuff ( Kleens ). Get the engine hot and spray it down inside and keep the engine just barely running, let it soak over night if you can. Fire it up the next morning and go for a run, it is going to smoke big time. It cleans right from the top all the way through to the cat. For the guys that have a MAF and cant spray into the throttle body, go into the vacumn brake booster hose.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchead3
You cant adjust the idle on that. I would say it is time for a scanner. There could be about 15 different things wrong. Coolant temp sensor? TPS? and so on. With 4.3 I would look at the coolant temp, get a scanner on it.
Where can I get a scanner at? How much do they normally run?