Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Squealing/Whirring Issue, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dns
I'll go out here and do the ear test on the alt now. Hopefully it's just the tensioner pulley though, since that would be the most inexpensive resolution. I could get a ps pump at the junk yard for a good price, but an alt I would definitely buy new. I'll get back to you, thank you everyone for the tips.

If you guys want i'll go out here and take a video with my phone and put it up so you can see the crankshaft pulley in all it's wobbly wonder. Will be able to hear the noise it's making too. I'll post that soon as well, with the results of the "ear to screwdriver to alt" test.
I'm with Jason here also about the crank pulley being wobbley...
It to when it failing makes a creepy creaking sound... like crunch metal falling apart much like a bad flex plate..its almost unmistakeable once you have heard one...

It also has a harmonic balancer attached to it ..so as to balance out the crank vibes....
You loose that pully and you can almost kiss that motor goodbye! Unless you get lucky and shut it off immediately! You might just save the motor... But I would highly recommend not starting the car again until you get it replaced!