Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Squealing serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Photobucket
Unhappy Squealing serpentine belt?

so I NEVAR had this problem before until now... then again I've only driven the car six days out of the 13 I've owned it... I start the car up and it SQUEALS!!! Not like really loud, but it's STILL embarassing.

It also does it under heavy acceleration, but when the RPM's get up into the 3 and 4000 range, it shuts up. Car has 186K on it, rebuilt transmission, new wheel hub assemblies, new spark plugs and wires... I think something is putting too much stress on the alternator?? I do have an aftermarket CRAP jvc deck which I am going to replace and replace the stock amp and probably the speakers but that's AFTER I get the body work fixed (SOMEBODY KEYED HER IN MY PARKINGLOT AT WORK DOWN THE PASSENGER SIDE)

do I just spray some belt dressing on it, or for safety's sake change it? I am afraid it's going to throw a belt and I gotta get this thing road worthy I may be driving to the cincinatti area at least 2x a month...

Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

now thats just messed up...i think some one was jellious of your new ride...

Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM

First I would look at the belt for cracks and missing parts on the ribs. If you can't see anything there I would go buy some "Belt dressing" and try that. If THAT doesn't work I would replace the belt. I would bet money it is the belt though.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Photobucket

Puresin... Ribs? what?? I dont like pork....

Seriously. No clue what you're talking about dude. Ribs? my car has ribs??? I knew it had dents and dings, but ribs??? Tell me what I'm lookin for....

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

he's talking about the belt it has ribs in it...

Took this pic outa my chiltons manual..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by moonlitmagik
Puresin... Ribs? what?? I dont like pork....

Seriously. No clue what you're talking about dude. Ribs? my car has ribs??? I knew it had dents and dings, but ribs??? Tell me what I'm lookin for....
I ment BBQ Ribs. First make some ribs and eat them get ur hands nice and greasy and rub them on the belt. JK! Ok what I ment is the belt is divided into "ribs" the belt I assume you have has 6 ribs running vertically the whole length of the belt like in the picture above. If there are chunks missing you need a new belt. If the belt is cracked on the non ribbed side of the belt you need a new one. If you are not totally sure I would just take it to a shop have them look at ur belt if they want money for that they are crazy.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Photobucket

Puresin, yeah I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow. If it needs replaced well i'll gladly pay it. No problems there. Yeah. I'm miss deep pockets this week... *sigh* frickin car, soakin me for everything I have.... damn her... she's a woman alright, high maintenance and anything that breaks, in order to shut her up it's going to be EXPENSIVE....

I can't even get my nails done or a pedicure this week. BTW sin I love your car. gorgeous color.

and i think my belt is smooth.... ? should i just take a picture of the underneath of my hood?? And a video of the squeal it makes??

Last edited by moonlitmagik; 08-05-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Don't only look at the belt, it's likely the belt tensioner.

older cars with V-belts don't use a spring loaded tensioner, they rely on the pulleys being in a set position. when the v belt wears, there becomes a bit of play between the belt and the pulley, and you get squealing. --belt dressing helps to take up this wear/slack, as well as help the belt grip as it gets older/harder/slicker

with the serpentine belt system, the spring loaded tensioner keeps constant tension on the belt, eliminating squeal when the belt wears down. now, the tensioner can and will wear out- it's spring tension will gradually reduce with age, thus not as much tension against the belt, which can let it squeal.

now, it still is slightly possible for the belt to be old/hardened enough that it MIGHT squeal on it's own, but it's not all that likely.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Photobucket

Thanks toasty. Tensioner. Ok. Yeah. I'm a girl. Not all that car smart. But if I had the tools and a book, I could do it. I'm learning though. I need an oil change too. Oil is as black as the ace of spades. Any recommendations??

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'd try some belt dressing before anything else...could be all it needs, and its like $3bucks.

Quick Reply: Squealing serpentine belt?