Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Default spark plugs

has anybody used e3 plugs on a 05 supercharged will they work ok they are #44

Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM

I have been told NOT to use these.. Dont remember why..

Old 05-12-2018, 05:25 PM

I would just go with stock plugs (or different heat range copper plugs if you're heavily modified).

Personally, I don't see a benefit to these over stock. If it worked as well as they claimed - better power, better power, better emissions, then why don't the OEMs run these or something similar? It's not like it's a big cost delta over a modern iridium plug.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I would just go with stock plugs (or different heat range copper plugs if you're heavily modified).

Personally, I don't see a benefit to these over stock. If it worked as well as they claimed - better power, better power, better emissions, then why don't the OEMs run these or something similar? It's not like it's a big cost delta over a modern iridium plug.
If you have mods, would you recommend iridiums??

Old 05-13-2018, 08:19 AM

I have tried the E3 plugs in my Pontiac Fiero .It's a lightly modified engine with a ported and polished head and intake with basically a stock cam. My opinion on these plugs verse's a standard AC plug is there was no difference in starting or gas mileage. As for more power I couldn't tell much difference as the engine has about 100 hp and nothing was obvious. In my opinion you would get just as much power by indexing the spark plug . Bumpin96monte has got great advice, try playing with heat ranges if you know how to read plugs . With copper plugs at $2 each your out $12 to test your car.

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 05-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
If you have mods, would you recommend iridiums??
Depends on how modded. For basic bolt ons, I'd usually stick with stock style plugs. On a more heavily modded setup, I prefer switching to copper and dialing in the right heat range for the combo.

The downside to copper is they don't last near as long as platinum / iridium, so I hate to add the extra maintenance on a frequently driven basic bolt on car.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Depends on how modded. For basic bolt ons, I'd usually stick with stock style plugs. On a more heavily modded setup, I prefer switching to copper and dialing in the right heat range for the combo.

The downside to copper is they don't last near as long as platinum / iridium, so I hate to add the extra maintenance on a frequently driven basic bolt on car.
Going off topic in this guys thread now but what do you recommend for gapping copper 104's?? W/ intake, headers, 1.9-1 ratio rockers, 3.5" pulley and tuned??
Ported tbody also but I dont think that made a difference.. Very soon will have a gen 5 supercharger on it also..

Old 05-14-2018, 05:11 PM

There are guides out there for how to dial in gap as it'll certainly vary car to car. Personally, I tend to lean towards the tighter end as I'd rather it be a bit lower on power than misfiring because you overshot on the big side, but if its on a setup where they are really concerned about getting the most, then it's worthwhile to dial it in.

For the setup you mentioned, if the person just wanted to drop in some plugs and go, I'd probably set them up at .055 assuming the ignition system was in good shape.