Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sound getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Default Sound getting worse

I couple weeks back I started noticing a faint ticking noise while the engine is running. It matches revs, when revs increase the ticking increases with them. The noise has progressively getting louder.
I recently went on a road trip, now the ticking is extremely loud. It can be heard while driving with the windows down. Oil level is full, checked it multiple times. The sound doesn't go away when the car warms up or after driving. To me, it sounds almost like a lifter issue but I'm not to knowlegable about lifters. I wish I could describe it a little better. It is loud enough to be hear clearly without having to listen for it. Sounds loudest from the left(drivers) side of the car. I know the car is out of warrenty so I'm trying to avoid bringing it to a dealership. Does anyone have any ideas?

06 MC SS 47k miles.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 AM

How many miles on your Monte ?
Is yours a S.S. with the 5.3L ?

Below is some infor until one of our expert member's reads your thread & prob...Please check back later to see what they suggest...Good Luck

Ticking Noise in Engine While Running
|
<STYLE>.fullpost{display:inline;}</STYLE>Car trouble symptoms: Ticking noise in engine is obviously heard while the engine is running. The ticking sound in engine can be observe during idling or when the vehicle is in operational. It also sounds like tapping noise in engine that can easily be notice when the engine runs.

Car problem diagnosis: Engine ticking noise while it is running is an indication of an engine that is not fully lubricated. There are two common reasons why an engine becomes not fully lubricated. One is that the engine lacks oil and the other one is that the oil pressure inside the engine is very low.

Now, lets find out which of the two possible reasons is causing the engine ticking by doing the following.

Check the Engine Oil Level

Locate the dip stick for the engine oil to check the oil level, if the oil inside the engine is not sufficient then the ticking noise you heard from the engine is cause by a poor lubrication of the engine. However, if the engine oil is enough base your observation of the dip stick then it does not lack engine oil in this case you have to proceed with the next diagnosis which is checking of the oil pressure.

Check the Oil Pressure

You have to find out if the oil pressure inside the engine is enough and the first step to do this is to observe the oil warning light located in the car dashboard. If the oil warning light comes on while the engine ticking occurs, then in this case a poor engine lubrication also causes the problem. Oil pressure is an indication if the car engine have sufficient amount of engine oil, if the oil pressure is sufficient the entire car engine key components can received an ample amount of engine oil, but if the oil pressure is low a certain engine component do not received an ample amount of engine oil therefore it can cause the ticking noise or tapping noise in engine.

Now what causes the oil pressure to become low? The most possible reason is a faulty oil pump.
However, if the oil pressure is enough then the engine has a sufficient amount of engine oil. If this is the case then the problem is cause by a loose valve or leaking exhaust manifold.

That kind of problem can also cause a similar ticking noise, a loose valve slap against the rocker arm while the engine runs thus causing a ticking noise. Leaking exhaust manifold causes the exhaust gases to leak thus causing a ticking sound on the engine.

Auto diagnose caused: Base on our diagnosis the ticking noise can be caused by a poor Engine lubrication, loose valve or leaking exhaust manifold

Car Shop advice:

Poor Engine Lubrication

When the problem is poor engine lubrication which causes by the lack of engine oil, just add oil on the engine then check the dip stick again if the amount of oil you added is sufficient, however if the oil inside the engine is low then you have to bring the car to the car shop. Tell the mechanic about your diagnosis and ask the mechanic to check if the oil pump is faulty including the oil pan if it is clogged.

Loose Valve or Leaking exhaust manifold

When the problem is a loose valve or leaking exhaust manifold you also have to bring the car shop to determined which of them causes the problem why there is ticking noise on the engine while it runs. This might only be a simple case of tightening the valve, provide that the car has adjustable valve.

Tags : Engine ticking sound, Engine ticking noise, Engine tapping noise

Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The first thing I'd do is a visual inspection. Your serpentine belt may be seperating and a piece of it might be slapping against something as it rotates. Then I'd narrow down the origin of the noise. Alternator? PS pump? AC compressor? Engine? There's a lot of components underhood that can make a ticking sound.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM

It has the 5.3L, 47k miles

I have done a visual, it is most definitely engine related. The serpentine belt has 4k miles on it.
I'm thinking about adding a bottle of engine restorer to the oil which may clean everything out.
From what I've been learning, junk can cause lifters to stick and if I run some engine cleaner through it, it may clear out whatever is in there. If it's not a lifter issue, then the noise will persist. Thoughts?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM

just wanted to give a quick update.

I brought the car into Firestone today and it turns out it was the plastic shield that guards the transmission where it meets up to the engine. The plastic guard had come loose and made it's way too close to the trans where a bolt holding one of the pulleys together was rubbing against it, so it was making a clicking/ticking noise the matched revs etc.
Ordered a new one for 15 bucks and am going to have it replaced. Yay all is well.