Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Some Monte help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Default Some Monte help!

So, I recently got my Monte. Life's been tough, but I think things r turning around....
Trolling this place I think some of you can help me. I got a friend who thiks he can hlp if I can get the info on what to do.

So, I can drive my monte for like an hour, longer and in these cold temps you really want some HEAT! on the highest setting she barely puts any heat out? Any ideas??

also, it's telling me low coolant?? i know enuff to check that and its got coolant.... I check that bottle in the back, right?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is not quite enough info to help you out. What year and engine do you have?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How many miles on the car too. Could be something as simple as a failed thermostat for the temperature problem, quick fix. The coolant sensor could be fouled and needs cleaned or replaced, pretty simple fix. Do you smell collant after driving the car for awhile when you shut her off? Typically you should be able to check your overflow bottle for coolant levels, but never hurts when it's cold to remove the radiator cap and check the fluid level at the radiator neck.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM

wow that was fast! thanx!
let's see if I got all the info.... i have a 2003 monte, I don't think its an ss or anything special model. it's a v6 and about 150000 miles on it... does that help any?
I dont think i smell antifreeze when i turn off the car but i will pay more attention.
how hard is it to change that thermostat and how much do you think it will cost?? i'd love to have heat.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Thermostats are cheap and on the 3800 very easy to change. If you have the 3400 I'm not familiar with that engine but I'm sure its not to difficult.

Your not over heating are you? Does it blow air like its suppose to just not hot air or does it barely blow air at all?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Watch a You tube video on changing a thermostat. Usually a 20 minute project.

Buy a new one for about $8 or so. Your engine needs to be cold so when you remove the 2 bolts your coolant does not go squirting out scalding you. Follow your top radiator hose to the engine and where it attaches is the T-stat housing with the 2 bolts holding it in place. remove the 2 bolts and pry the cap off and there is your T-stat resing in there. Pay attention to which side is up or down when you remove it so you dont put in in backwards later on. When you remove your old T-stat take it into the house and look it over. There is a small copper disc in an opening with a spring behind it. If the T-stat disc is not in the opening when it's cold and appears to be extended into an open position, then your T-stat is bad as it should be in the closed position back into the opening. If it's stuck open thats why tyour not getting any heat as the engine cannot get the coolant up to the proper temperature. Kind of like if you put a lid on a pan (closed T-stat) the water boils quicker and if it's stuck open it's like trying to boil water without a lid, takes longer. Make sure you top off your coolant to account for any you have lost with the T-stat housing being off.

If the old T-stat appears to be closed, put it into a pan of water and bring it to boiling all the while watching the T-stat and observing if the spring is extending and moving the disc away from the opening. If it does and then when you put it into cold water if the spring and disc return back to the closed position, then your T-Stat is operating properly, and you can take your new one back to the store for a refund. I just like having a new one with me when doing this, so I don't have to take the housing off twice if the old one is bad.

Link to You Tube video:

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-20-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 PM

if you have the 3400 it is a pain the butt to change the thermostat without taking everything off of the drivers side of the engine. seriously, just cut a 13mm wrench to about 4" long and jam you arm down there and do work.

if its the 3800, seriously take a very short amount of time.

check the radiator fluid in the radiator, NOT THE OVERFLOW BOTTLE.

if the fluid is full in the RADIATOR, then you have a bad sensor most likely and nothing to worry about. if the fluid is low, then you have a much larger issue to deal with.

if the fluid is full, you can test to see if your thermostat is working well enough. open your hood, find a cardboard box and cut to size (about half the size of the radiator) and place that in front of the A/C condenser. this will block part of the airflow to the radiator which will allow your car to warm up properly. if that happens, then your thermostat is toast (ie stuck open, or opening WAY to soon)

Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you turn the car off after running it to operating Temp, did you hear what sounds like Bubbling coming from the engine compartment. That could be a sign of air in the cooling system. And that would Also cause tour heat not to work

Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The bottle you checked for anti-freeze, if it's in the back, hanging off the passenger side strut tower, that is the overflow bottle for coolant. But as suggested, best to see if the radiator looks full by taking the cap off and trying to sneak a peak inside.

You said you don't think it's an SS model. GM placed two different v6 engines in these cars. A 3800 v6 and a 3400 v6. If you pop the hood and look at the engine, if it's a 3400, it will say that right on top (the item it says it on is UIM or upper intake and made of aluminum). If it's the 3800 and it has the original cover that goes over the engine, it will say it on the cover. Otherwise, there will be a big plastic black upper intake.

As it's been mentioned, a T-stat on a 3800 is pretty easy, about a 5 minute job. On the 3400, I found taking the throttle body off is the best way to get access to it (it's not in the friendliest spot). At that mileage if the guy you got the car from can't tell you when it was last changed, I'd say go ahead and change it.

If you don't appear to be loosing coolant and the temp gauge does not indicate you are over heating, then the low coolant could be a gunked up sensor. Regardless of engine model, the sensor sits in the radiator. I never had to pull one out yet, but I don't believe it's a big thing to do.

Hope all this isn't overwhelming. Feel free to ask for more. All of us are here to help.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM

My car does somewhat the same thing...its because i accidentally nicked a hole in a heater core hose in a rush to stab my tranny. I have new hoses...just too lazy to put them on . X2 on air in the lines.

Quick Reply: Some Monte help!