Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Smog Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM

I used to live in SF (San Francisco), now I live in LA, thanks anyways 2003SuperSport.

I will definately call the dealer. Thanks for the tip labnjab.

Last edited by 01montesf; 10-29-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM

In California, do you have to smog the car before you sell it?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Its been too many years since i've had a smogged car, but i believe you dont have to smog before you sell it. But you DO have to have is smogged in order to register it. Every smoggable vehicle i have had, i bought brand new.

And just for the record, I am a SoCal boy.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i believe there is a state law saying that in order to sell the vehicle, you must be able to have it pass smog or you (the seller) are responsible to fix it to get it to pass smog. if you had the vehicle smogged within the last 90 days, you dont need to smog it to sell it.

the loophole is, trading it in for a car at the dealership. they will take anything haha.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM

Snap ... I was planning on selling the car in April, but if it doesn't pass smog I can't exactly sell it without repairing the cat. I guess I'll call the dealership on the weekend and see if the recall thing will fix it for free. Otherwise, I guess I have to trade it in, but that means the dealer will send my Monte to the junk yard to sell for parts and I will get less than what the cars worth. Life is hard.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

strong recommendation: find a cheap used downpipe with cat on clubgp and install it to get you through till april. dont spend the $$ if your plan is to sell it. you should be able to pick up a stock downpipe with cat for about $60 that will last much longer than just april. im currently looking for one just so i can pass smog, then plan to uninstall it and put back my current downpipe and cat. so if i find one soon and pass smog with it, i'll sell it to ya for what i pay. like i said, i basically need it for a day.
i found a guy on clubgp parting out his stock exhaust, i offered $55 for the DP and cat, he's gonna let me know saturday. hopefully if all goes well, i'll have it sometime next week, get it smogged on my day off, and be done with it. let me know if that sounds like a plan. all you'll have to do is get it installed...probably like $40 so maybe around $110 for you total.......beats the crap outta $600.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

California emissions are different too, aren't they? I sell parts, but most converters I sell are not legal for use in California. I assume special "heavier" converter are used there? This could make finding a used converter (that will work) difficult. I still have my stock converter which I would sell or even loan you, but the shipping wouldn't make it worth your while anyways.

Its weird that you have to smog just to unload the car. Here the responsibility is on the buyer.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2003supersport
strong recommendation: find a cheap used downpipe with cat on clubgp and install it to get you through till april. dont spend the $$ if your plan is to sell it. you should be able to pick up a stock downpipe with cat for about $60 that will last much longer than just april. im currently looking for one just so i can pass smog, then plan to uninstall it and put back my current downpipe and cat. so if i find one soon and pass smog with it, i'll sell it to ya for what i pay. like i said, i basically need it for a day.
i found a guy on clubgp parting out his stock exhaust, i offered $55 for the DP and cat, he's gonna let me know saturday. hopefully if all goes well, i'll have it sometime next week, get it smogged on my day off, and be done with it. let me know if that sounds like a plan. all you'll have to do is get it installed...probably like $40 so maybe around $110 for you total.......beats the crap outta $600.
Absolutely, PM me when yours is smoged and uninstalled. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Any word on the cat 2003supersport?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

nothing yet, been actively looking pretty hardcore. clubgp is my bestfriend right now haha. cant find a cat and downpipe combo that has anything close to 100k on it. usually has at least 150k, and that worries me about passing

Quick Reply: Smog Fail