Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Side Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 02:59 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Side Mirror Replacement

So I am having a problem with both my drivers and passengers side mirrors. They are so far bent out of place that they no longer mount up flush to the side of the car and water is getting inside the doors. I tried to unbolt and reinstall the mirrors but it seems that the plastic is just too badly warped. So I guess my question is this: where or which brand should I try to buy from? I would like to get mirrors that are heated and defog if I can, but every listing I see does not specify whether or not they have that option. Would the only way to tell be by the gm part number? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would also like to seal the mirrors in order to prevent any water from getting in through them in the future. What is the best method to do this as well? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2021, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the mirror housing is damaged, I would recommend you buy a genuine GM replacement (go through a salvage yard). Two reasons:
- I have seen some of the cheapo replacements where the mirror is convex or concave and is like a funhouse mirror!
- Someone I know got a replacement side mirror and found the housing was the correct size, but the mirror itself was not.

As for sealing, moisture will always get in, but if you have the proper factory pieces (like the foam seals), you should be fine.

as for the heated option, I lack enough info to suggest anything on that.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:12 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

So currently I am not with the car but I will be back home this weekend and can post pictures. But currently they are so badly warped out of place that a good amount of water is getting in when it rains. Living in NE Ohio doesn't help that case either. I have been checking the yards every time a new Monte comes in and the mirrors are always smashed or in worse shape than mine. I also check the RPO codes as to whether or not the mirrors have the defog option. Are there really no new aftermarket mirrors that I can buy anywhere, and scrap yards are my only option?

Old 10-21-2021, 01:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know a lot about NE Ohio (I live in Mentor, any further north and I am in the lake lol).

So, there are aftermarket replacement mirrors (eBay is full of them). But as I mentioned, you may or may not get OEM quality. It could be a fun house mirror because of poor mirror glass and/or the mirror itself not being the right size (the housing would be the same, but not the mirror, imagine a gap between the mirror and the housing about 1/2 inch).

As for junk yards, Ohio has three Pull-A-Part locations (Akron, Canton and CLE West). Sometimes I have seen side mirrors in good shape (no idea if they are heated or not).

The problem with the heated mirrors, I am not sure why years they were offered for or what it takes to install them (such as, is the wiring already in place for the heating element). I got curious and checked wiring info for the 2004 monte and then the 2000.... I suppose it looks like heated mirrors were an option all through the years. Should be plug and play. The mirror should be using all 6 wires on the connector if it has a heating element.

Here is a search I did on eBay, but again, these new mirrors are not genuine GM and may have weird faults:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rror&_osacat=0

Old 10-23-2021, 05:24 PM

I bought one off ebay after I took mine out on the door opening on the garage. <rolls eyes> Only problem I had was the finish, one side looks brand new, and the new one looks like it is 20 years old! I never tried polishing it or anything, I'm sure it's fixable. One thing though, I didn't realize that I bent the mount area slightly and it's a little off. Otherwise, the mirror itself is fine and wasn't expensive.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:09 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by craig32
I bought one off ebay after I took mine out on the door opening on the garage. <rolls eyes> Only problem I had was the finish, one side looks brand new, and the new one looks like it is 20 years old! I never tried polishing it or anything, I'm sure it's fixable. One thing though, I didn't realize that I bent the mount area slightly and it's a little off. Otherwise, the mirror itself is fine and wasn't expensive.
Hmm, I didn't think about the mounting area itself being bent, maybe that is why mine are so crooked and out of alignment. Is this fixable? Also do you remember where you bought yours from by chance? I took a trip to the yard this past weekend and unfortunately there weren't any winners.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dayman_AhAhAhh
Hmm, I didn't think about the mounting area itself being bent, maybe that is why mine are so crooked and out of alignment. Is this fixable? Also do you remember where you bought yours from by chance? I took a trip to the yard this past weekend and unfortunately there weren't any winners.
Mine got bent when I smashed it on the garage door opening backing out. I didn't realize until I was done that the mounting area must have distorted. The mirror housing itself is plastic, but there is a pretty stiff metal frame inside that slightly bent the attachment area. I'm sure a wood block and hammer would realign it. I got the new one on ebay, it was like $30. I did a quick check, and there are several there with different prices. Good luck!