Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Change to heated mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Change to heated mirrors

Is it possible to easily add heated mirrors to my Monte SS, which doesn't have heated mirrors?

I noticed these and they are heated, and it doesn't look like any additional wiring. But would that work, without having to rewire the defrost system to the mirrors?

I have huge doubts about it working, but I would love to have heated mirrors.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Default RE: Change to heated mirrors

That does look pretty easy, but perhaps there has to be something wired into the ECU that would tell it you have these. I am, by no means, an electrician. I would call or contact a GM technician.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My guess is all the newer Montes have one wiring harness. First, it saves GM/Chevy $$$$ which they love.

That your car is already wired for the heated mirrors. You just need to locate and plug in to the harness to utilize the feature.

True, there may be and probably is more to it then just plug n play. But you never know?

Look at the MCF member Rick who added driving lights to his Monte. He bought the lights off a web site and installed them on his car. Getting them to work was a simple plug n play if I remember correctly?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Are you sure the mirrors aren't heated?

I had an '01 LS, and it had heated mirrors. I don't know why an SS wouldn't.

The mirror heaters are connected to the rear defrost switch, so they don't turn on unless the rear defroster is on.

Also, the mirror heater is just a layer of wiring along the back of the glass.
You should be able to just buy the glass and pop it in. It's not too hard to do. You could probably do it with the mirrors still on the car so you don't have to remove the door panel.

From what I hear some of the aftermarket mirrors are junk (I think Wayne had a Kool Vue mirror and said it shook and vibrated while driving...I could be wrong).
Last fall, someone smashed my driver side mirror when I was parked in south philly, and I realized there wasn't much of a price difference between getting the mirror glass kit from the dealer (which comes with the motor....which was dying on my mirror anyways), but I didn't want mirrors that shook and vibrated so I ended up just getting the kit from the chevy dealer ($80 IIRC).

I'd call up the Chevy parts department to check.
If you give them your VIN, they can tell you for sure what mirrors you have and whether the wiring harness is the same.

-Riggs.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

they were an option, and i don't think we added it when building the car.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 AM

I was just thinking about this myself since I live in MN. What was the outcome of this? Did you get the mirrors?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 AM

You need to buy a power inverter, hardwire that to the battery. Then buy a 3 way splitter for the 110 outlet, plug that into the inverter. Then buy 2 hairdryers. Problem solved! Mirrors iced up? Roll down the window and pop on the hair dryer. For a quicker effect, use heat guns.

If you tend to ride solo a lot, add to the cost a little extra to hire a hooker, illegal, or other street person to ride shotgun on the cold days when you'd like both mirrors clean.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
You need to buy a power inverter, hardwire that to the battery. Then buy a 3 way splitter for the 110 outlet, plug that into the inverter. Then buy 2 hairdryers. Problem solved! Mirrors iced up? Roll down the window and pop on the hair dryer. For a quicker effect, use heat guns.

If you tend to ride solo a lot, add to the cost a little extra to hire a hooker, illegal, or other street person to ride shotgun on the cold days when you'd like both mirrors clean.
Well that might be an option or I just carry a jug of warm water with my everyday lol

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Is it possible to easily add heated mirrors to my Monte SS, which doesn't have heated mirrors?

I noticed these and they are heated, and it doesn't look like any additional wiring. But would that work, without having to rewire the defrost system to the mirrors?

I have huge doubts about it working, but I would love to have heated mirrors.
Did you try this? Did it work?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

lololol!!!! :p

Quick Reply: Change to heated mirrors