Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Shifting problems, ABS/trac off problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Default Shifting problems, ABS/trac off problems

I just bought a used car (2003 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.4L V6). I am disabled and have 2 prosthetic legs. I rarely come across enough money to buy a car so this vehicle is important to me. Used dealer said front passenger wheel hub needs replaced (could hear it rubbing). The ABS, Trac Off, Service Traction System lights on. I replaced that hub/bearing and reset computer but still on. I tapped on and unplugged/plugged back ABS module still lights on. Tranny shifts little rough out of 1st gear into 2nd. If I baby it taking off it usually shifts a lot better. I really don't feel like it's the tranny though. I read pressure solenoids or clogged cat converter. I took it to pep boys and this "kid" puts it on the computer darn thing said NO CODES! Meanwhile I have those lights going off and shifting problems. I've done plugs myself and wires including the back 3. Oil change, front passenger wheel hub assembly, etc. HELP HELP I don't want to end up walking/bussing/train again on these painful legs! 4437079027 Chris

Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Good thing most problems with these cars are well known as are the fixes.. This might help, hope so. Gives some good ideas what can cause these problems.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-lights-19644/

Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Default still need assistance...

I read that post already and I haven't had the car jacked up again since replacing the front passenger hub/bearing assembly. I had my neighbor help me replace it and we had a hard time with the last bolt. Ended up cutting it off! I have thrown about as much money at this car that I can for now. Oh well, eventually I'll either fix it or sell it.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:10 AM

Well a couple slim chance fixes you could check for is the ground wire (under the airbox kinda) or your ABS wire harness.

I know you said you looked thru the topic I posted but I believe there are 3 different fixes in that thread for this issue. Of course other things can cause this but I like to be optimistic and hope its just something simple that was over-looked.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 AM

It might be what happened with mine--a misfire. Caused exactly the same problems, plus deactivated my DoD (which you don't have).

I wish you the greatest of luck with that engine.