Decarboning the motor - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Decarboning the motor

hey everyone, hope your all doing good.
I have a question, has anyone had their Monte decarboned?
If so what are the pros and cons?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year/engine/etc.

I assume you are talking about a chemical cleaning of the engine, and it's really all dependent on how the car was maintained.

If you are comfortable pulling off a few parts to check the amount of build-up, you can see if your engine is beneficial of the cleaning.

Otherwise, they will probably just use a chemical, that if your engine is heavily carboned up, it can dislodge large pieces and do more harm than good.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
What year/engine/etc.

I assume you are talking about a chemical cleaning of the engine, and it's really all dependent on how the car was maintained.

If you are comfortable pulling off a few parts to check the amount of build-up, you can see if your engine is beneficial of the cleaning.

Otherwise, they will probably just use a chemical, that if your engine is heavily carboned up, it can dislodge large pieces and do more harm than good.
Shes a 2001 SS 3.8 with 109,300 miles on her. I do need to pull the EGR valve and clean it, I'm getting intermediate EGR code P0404 and a Fuel Trim Ststem Lean (Bank 1) P0171code. My machanic sugessted the Decarbing.
Im wondering if possibly the wiring harness to the EGR may have a short, or there's a piece of carbon making it stick open.
Chibi, I wish you lived local to me. Lol You would have had her fixed and running the way she should be faster than it's taking.
Thank you so much for all the help you give to everyone on this site. Your a Pretty AWESOME guy!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member

Thanks for the kind words

Ask your mechanic what method of decarboning he is going to do. If it's chemical, you can buy a bottle of seafoam and just do that yourself. But ultimately if you trust him, then just have the conversation and base your decision on what he believes to be best.

For the P0171, I would clean the MAF sensor, and maybe change the oxygen sensor before the catalytic.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member

Where exactly IS the O2 sensor before the catalytic? That was the other problem the shop found which isn't showing on my burned-out CEL.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z34man View Post
Where exactly IS the O2 sensor before the catalytic? That was the other problem the shop found which isn't showing on my burned-out CEL.

Rear exhaust manifold.. Im sure you know the second one is in the u-bend after the cat.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wht02monte View Post
Rear exhaust manifold.. Im sure you know the second one is in the u-bend after the cat.
Crap. I hate paying for repairs.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z34man View Post
Crap. I hate paying for repairs.
Nah, its easy enough to get to.. Lay a pillow down on your engine so you can lay up there and itll be even easier..

Id at least try some seafoam first and clean that o2 sensor.

As said above, theres no tell other than opening up a few things and pulling a few other things.

I truly believe this will not be beneficial as long as youve kept up on basic maint.. But ive been wrong many times before.