Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Service Airbag Warning and B0086 Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Service Airbag Warning and B0086 Error

My 2006 Monte Carlo SS recently started with Service Airbag message. Used OBDII reader and it says B0086 - Right Side Front Impact Sensor. I purchased a replacement off Ebay and cleared error but it popped back up. I then swapped the left and right sensors and after clearing error, it again says right sensor. I also tried removing the left sensor totally and it then said both sides had errors so I know the computer is reading the errors correctly.

I am stumped now that it does not appear to be sensor related. Plug looks good. Cant check the wires as they immediately go into a bundle of wires and then deep into the engine bay.

I wanted to see if anyone had a wiring diagram for the airbag system as I would like to try to run new wires to see if that works. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

I just had a similar issue with my Pontiac SUV. Every one said it is in the connections under the seats and I went thru those and cleaned them and it still came up.
So this time when the check engine light issue was read. It showed the front impact sensor.
I ordered a new Dorman sensor thru Rock Auto and disconnected the Battery and then installed it and it all worked.
Check youtube to see if your particular issue is on there. I am thinking I read something about a control unit under the console for some of these cars.
But sometimes cleaning those contacts on the connections under the seats is the trick.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member

To follow up on my post, I tried a few sensors and none worked, even the working sensor on the left side caused an error on the right side.. Therefore, I think it is either wiring short or something in the airbag computer. I tried following the wires from behind the front grill and up the driver's side fender into the firewall. I then last it once it went in the the car.

Anyone knows the path these wires take once entering the car or know what airbag computer parts I would need to replace? I would love to be able to buy used parts from a junk yard or Ebay. I hesitate bringing this into a repair shop or worse, the dealer, because I guess it will cost over $1,000.

Any help would be appreciated?