Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Self dimming rear-view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Self dimming rear-view mirror

On my '04 intimidator, I have the rear-view mirror that has all the bells and whistle.. onstar and self-dimming capabilities.
On my other '04 (LS model), it has the plain jane mirror with the flip up **** for nigh time driving.
Can a self-dimming mirror be installed on my LS, replacing the plain jane mirror that's there, as a simple plug and play option?
I know the onstar button wouldn't work (since my LS model didn't come with Onstar) but I was hoping to be able to take advantage of the self-dimming option on the better rear-view mirror.
Can this be easily done/upgraded?
Thanks.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Self dimming rear-view mirror

If you get one out of a car with out the onstar it will do the same thing mine dose ont he 03 but i dont have Onstar in it.
so i have the self dimmer and then i have two map lights there. also.

As far as plug and play im not sure on it i would think it cant be to difficult to hook up as faras i know it is nothing more then a power and ground there for that option kind of like the map lights.
the controll for it is nothing more then the power on off button on the bottom and might have something to do with the light sensor on the dash but im thinking it is more to do with th eone in the front bottom center.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So, if, for the heck of it, I wanted to take the one in my intimidator (got all the features on the mirror, onstar, the self dimming option, etc..) and tried to hook it up on my other LS (same year) that didn't have the onstar installed, I know the onstar feature wouldn't work. I'm more curious if the plugs between these two types of mirrors are the same. I know the onstar wouldn't work on the LS but I was hoping that the rest of the mirror capabilities would still work on the LS.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:02 PM

yeah as far as i know the onstar actually has it's own plug in there. so it would be diffrent on that but the rest shoudl plug in correctly.
the onstar has to have a seperate harness in the car and i do not belive it is there but i might be wrong. i know if it was in mine it was shoved way back in there some where