Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Seized ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First just because there is a tsb does not mean this is a chronic issue. Also, gm uses this same ignition switch and lock cylinder on multiple models. I have 3 of those in my drive way and a ton of friends with then, never an issue with the ignition switch (but there are others out there that have had issues).

Lastly, this tab has nothing to do with the recall on these cars. The recall is claiming the weight of stuff people put on their key will cause the ignition to slide into the off position (in the long history if this ignition switch, I never heard of that happening).

There is a lot more to this discussion.

The idea of wd is not to clean the cylinder, it's to lubricate it. You should use a lubricant from time to time on all lock cylinders on your car to avoid them seizing over time.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
1 Year Member

I don't like WD because dirt sticks to it like a magnet. The PO cleaned the engine bay with it, it's amazing what sticks to it. WD is also not a true lubricant, it's a water displacement, I could try some lithium grease after cleaning it with elec. cleaner. Thanks for the diagram.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First just because there is a tsb does not mean this is a chronic issue. Also, gm uses this same ignition switch and lock cylinder on multiple models. I have 3 of those in my drive way and a ton of friends with then, never an issue with the ignition switch (but there are others out there that have had issues).

Lastly, this tab has nothing to do with the recall on these cars. The recall is claiming the weight of stuff people put on their key will cause the ignition to slide into the off position (in the long history if this ignition switch, I never heard of that happening).

There is a lot more to this discussion.

The idea of wd is not to clean the cylinder, it's to lubricate it. You should use a lubricant from time to time on all lock cylinders on your car to avoid them seizing over time.
I know tsb doesn't mean automatic recall. However, i know of multiple cars that have had this issue. (3 or 4 MC and impalas). I know that's a small drop in the bucket, but relative to my sample size, it's 75 percent. WD gums up when it dries, I'll try some lith grease, instead.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:41 PM
1 Year Member

I found the override lever. Problem is, the ignition has to in acc or run to use it. My ignition won;t leave off. Any suggestions ? I can't access anything without moving the shift lever.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Everyone's sample sample group with this ignition switch design does differ. I have 3 cars with it, zero issues. I easily know another 5-10 people (local friends and family) running cars with this same ignition switch set up (and many cases have put a tons of miles on these cars, one of them is over 230k miles) and no issues. My offline sample group has been problem free.

As for the wd, I know it's not a true lubricant, but It has many applications to work as a libricant. I know it stands for water displacement and the 40 is the 40th formula/trial before they made it a retail product. I would never use it to clean an engine bay. I don't know anyone who has used white lithium in door locks (hinges yes, locks no). That's a bit thick of a lubricant for lock cylinders. If you really don't want to use wd for your locks, then check the parts store for other thin lubricants (there might even be something recommended for lock cylinders).

Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
1 Year Member

I fixed my mother's problem. It was the shift detent finger.

Would disconnecting the shift cable allow the shifter to move freely ? I'm still stumped on how to get the console out.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Scott_S
I'm still stumped on how to get the console out.

Remove the shifter handle, the shifter surround plate then the retaining screws.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 PM
1 Year Member

Handle is off, screw is out, plate is off. The console does not have enough play because the shift rod is stuck in park. The front of the cut out of the console cannot get past the rod. It seems physically impossible to get the console off without touching the shifter rod.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:58 PM
1 Year Member

UPDATE:

I got access to the detent finger adjuster through the front cup holder. Unfortunately, unlike the the impala, adjusting the detent finger did nothing to help.
I also noticed a static noise comes from the front speakers when a battery is connected(full charge). Would this be a bad relay/ground, or a faulty ignition?
BTW, Where are the bolts in the lower console ? I think I may be able to remove the whole console in one swoop.

Thanks for all the help so far guys !