Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

security system

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Default security system

So, this weekend I"m going to be yanking my driver side door panel off and replacing a broken mirror, replacing a dead mirror switch, and also installing some new door speakers while I'm in there (in the passenger side too)....

If I unhook the negative battery terminal, what do I need to be wary of? Do I really need to unhook it to do this? If I do unhook the battery, is it going to set off the security system? I don't have the security code for my radio, and don't want to wait a few days to get my stereo working as I have to make a 5 hour drive and back this weekend.

What do you folks do when you need to do anything that requires unhooking the battery?

Thanks,

Riggs.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Default RE: security system

i unhook the battery if i need to do something that requires unhooking the battery...and it shouldnt affect your security system at all and just dont unhook ur radio with the battery disconnected and u should b fine

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

My manual says to disarm the radio before disconnecting the battery or it will lock the radio (I have no code either and don't really want to pay the $100 to hook it up to a Tech II to get it)

Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 PM

hmm what does disarm mean?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Photobucket

I'm not really sure, LOL, I can't even set the clock or the oil life. I could if I justr sat down with the book and did it but hubby ends up doing it before I get the chance.Biggriggs' might be different, not sure what model he has. I'd just check the owners manual. I know my Haynes has it throughout saying to disarm the radio first and I'm pretty sure I read it in the owners manual too.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i just changed my battery last night, i had it disconnected for an hour (those things are a bitch to actually get out of the car, and the new one in) after i put the new one in, it started up right away and the radio kicked on.

i had done no disarming or anything. i just popped the hood and changed the battery because it died on me.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member

Becky, the disarming the radio was what I was worried about. That is what it says in the owners manual, but i bought my car used 4 years ago, and never got the code with it.
I do know how to reset the oil life monitor and the clock. For the oil life monitor you turn off the radio and hold down the disp button (on the tuner ****). The stereo will beep and bring up a menu that has FOB settings, TPM reset, light settings, and oil life monitor reset.

I was going to call a chevy dealer and see what they do for disarming the radio (assuming they need to do this at all). Both the owners manual and the haynes manual have a big warning about disarming the radio before disconnecting the battery.

Scared me enough to never disconnect my battery.

-Riggs.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 PM

If the Battery gets disconnected and the Radio isn't "Prepared" for the power interruption; you'll need the Unlocking Code to reprogram it.
The Code is easy to get. Present your Valid Registration to any Chevy Dealer and they can look it up based on your VIN Number. I needed to do this once and they were very nice.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to hook-up a 9-Volt Smoke Detector Battery to the Harness to prevent the Memory Chips from losing power while a New Battery is installed.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Photobucket

Rick they told me that the older models could be looked up but with mine ('02) it has to be hooked up to a Tech II to get the code and that's a $100 bill. If I had known about the code thing when I bought it, I would have insisted on them giving me the code.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 AM

hello. Am having a hard time starting my 03 monte ss when hot. The security light comes on and the car is hard to start. When cold starts fine. How do I reset the security light so it doesnt come on. Please help. Thanks Oliver