Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Security Light coming on - no problems with starting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Default Security Light coming on - no problems with starting.

I've looked at the other posts regarding the Security light coming on and didn't see exactly what is happening to me.

My wife's car is an '03 SS and about 5 months ago (IMMEDIATELY after getting a recall done for removing spark-plug shields and/or replacing spark-plug cables - can't remember exactly) this light started coming on intermittantly and is now becoming more frequent. It never comes on when first starting the car, but later while driving. We have never had any problem starting it.

Of course we took it back to the dealer who did the recall service and claimed that nothing they did could cause this. They showed me what they did, and I agree, it was minor, but something else might have happened during that visit. They put it on the computer and no error codes showed up.

I read some posts here that made me think that it might be a problem with the ignition switch, so yesterday, I took the car out (in daylight) with only the one key in the ignition, nothing else hanging. The light did not come on during my drive, but as I came home and pulled the car in the darkened garage, the automatic headlights came on and the security light at the same time.

I've said before that this had something to do with the automatic lights and this sort of proved that. I got my wife to manually turn on the lights and keep them on when she drives. This reduced the frequency but didn't stop it. Each time the light comes on, the dash lights (if on) seem to dim a bit and you can hear a relay click from the passenger side, under the dash.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Well, I've had portions of your problem, but I have no answers.

Mine doesn't start at times like it's not getting fuel, or will shut off out of no where while driving, like I turned the key to the OFF position. I don't get any type of security lights, other than what flashes when you first turn it to the ON position. My headlights sometimes dim/pulsate and I also hear the clicking from under the passenger dash during that time. I get no other lights on the dash at that time, just the pulsating headlights/dash lights. This happens randomly and doesn't happen with the starting/dying problem.

I've been strapped for cash, so I haven't had it looked at. I just kind of get in and hope it gets me to where I'm heading!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The flickering of the lights and the clicking are from a faulty BCM. I'm not sure about the security light, but the clicking is a sign to me again of a faulty BCM.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Clicking = BCM going bad

Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 AM

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering if the BCM would also cause the starting/dying problems I'm experiencing.

Since I don't get the security lights that everyone else does, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the passlock? I could be wrong, I'm no mechanic!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

jibb3r If it's the Passlock it should not be dying will driving. It's possible it could start then immediately die but you should get the flashing security light when you try to restart and have to do the ten minute wait thing. I don't know if the BCM can cause it to die - I'm thinking no but could be completely wrong, but I don't think it's a Passlock issue.

sunset_ed If it was JUST the security light coming on without the other weirdness and clicking, I'd say it's just the Passlock which is not working right and may decide to start pulling the no start issue. Yours may possibly be both the Passlock and BCM, I've heard of both needing replaced at the same time on several occassions.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM

I'm taking the car into the shop (independent garage) this week - they also think it's the BCM.

Does anyone know any downside of getting the BCM replaced with a used one?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Default Similar issues with my Monte

Originally Posted by sunset_ed
I'm taking the car into the shop (independent garage) this week - they also think it's the BCM.

Does anyone know any downside of getting the BCM replaced with a used one?
Sunset_ed, how did you make out replacing your BCM? I think I may need to replace mine and was wondering if I could get an estimate of the cost.

I'm not really sure what my exact problem is, but it started with battery draw down, then the random accessory power relay started clicking. This was clueing me into some kind of power feed back through the BCM. I replaced the ignition and that didn't stop it. It seems to be worse when its hot and humid but now its not exclusive to that weather. I currently unplug the BCM fuse to stop the battery draw. Any information would be great!

Thanks

911monteSS

Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 911monteSS
Sunset_ed, how did you make out replacing your BCM? I think I may need to replace mine and was wondering if I could get an estimate of the cost.

I'm not really sure what my exact problem is, but it started with battery draw down, then the random accessory power relay started clicking. This was clueing me into some kind of power feed back through the BCM. I replaced the ignition and that didn't stop it. It seems to be worse when its hot and humid but now its not exclusive to that weather. I currently unplug the BCM fuse to stop the battery draw. Any information would be great!

Thanks

911monteSS
Replacing the BCM did solve all the problems. The people at the shop (and others) said that using a used BCM (if you could even find one) would be a big gamble - back in a month for a new one and double the labor.