Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Security light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 08:14 PM
Default Security light

My ‘01 MC SS 3.8 security light goes on randomly. No codes. I’ve replaced the sender around the ignition switch, sorry I can’t remember what it’s nomenclature really is. But still get the light. I found a fuse blown for the door lock system and replaced it, I only found it after my trunk switch stopped working. Dealer says it could be the keys?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly doubt it's the keys. The keys for these cars are "dumb", just a piece of cut steel, no chip or anything. So if it is the key, then it means the key is actually worn down and cutting a fresh key (not a copy) would be the solve.

Does the car have any aftermarket remote start? If so, it could be a malfunction with the anti-theft bypass. I have a similar issue with my 2004 Grand Am (which has the same anti-theft system). I think it is my bypass for my remote start. I have tried reading on it in the GM Shop Book and scanning it with a GM Tech II scan tool and yet to find anything that helps.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:20 AM

Nothing after market. Brought an ignition cylinder and pass lock sensor to a locksmith, they said it was the security system. It’s what came on the car when I bought it new. Can it be turned off?

Old 05-03-2022, 10:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turning off PassLock is a "fun" topic. As mentioned, my Grand Am (which is the same PassLock system as the 00-05 Monte) has been doing the same thing you mentioned yours has been doing. One kicker, I had a couple of times where it went into theft mode and I had to do the process with the key to kick out of that.
Now why I said disabling it is "fun". One method is to reprogram the PassLock system to a resistor. A friend Kyle in the Grand Am work has a good video on that with the Grand Ams (same process for a Monte). I have been dabbling with shutting it down in the PCM. I *might* have it shut off in my Grand Am (I cannot recall the last time the security light popped on). But I am not 100% certain and even though I offer some small PCM services, I am not comfortable offering this specific item because I am not 100% sure it works.