Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Screeching Breaks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Exclamation Screeching Breaks!!

I had all pads and rotors replaced on my 2002 ss about a couple months ago. They used semi-metallic pads which seemed to be fine for some time. I noticed a loud screeching noise from the front driverside, and there was alot of break dust. So I took apart the breaks and cleaned them up nice including the shims. They were fine for about a week then back to the screeching. This time I changed my pads to ceramic and installed new shims. But still same problem and this time it hadn't changed. It isn't as bad now as before but it always progress' and seems to happen when the breaks heat up but it only when stepping on the pedal about half way but with a little more pressure it goes away. The Hub is good and everything is in tact. Cailber isn't sticking. I also used disc quiet when installing the last time. Any ideas??

Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like the piston in the caliper is not fully releasing. When the pads are installed the piston is seated in the bore to make room for the new pads. With the piston compressed into the bore it is probably now in a position where the bore is clean and it can move freely when the brakes are applied and released. As the pads wear the piston has to move further out of the bore to compensate for the pad wear. It could be that the piston is now riding on a dirty/scored portion of the bore. When you release the brakes the piston retracts, but once it hits the dirty/scored portion of the bore it gets stuck so the pads don't fully release. The pads glaze over and begin to squeal when you apply them. I would closely inspect the piston for free movement throughout the bore. If it hangs up at any point either rebuild your calipers or purchase already rebuilt. If you replace the front left also replace the right front or you may experience pulling during braking.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 PM

Ahh.. yea I got ya. That makes a lot of sense because they are the original calipers. Thanks I swap them out when I get a chance and see how it goes.