Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Removing throttle body...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Default Removing throttle body...

I'm having a problem with my fuel pressure regulator and I'd like to replace it...The throttle body is in the way and I'd like to remove it to get to the fuel pressure regulator. The easy part was removing the flex hose connecting the throttle body to the air filter. However, when I began removing the bolts to the throttle body, I noticed a pipe crossing in front of the throttle body, going around the front of the engine, and connecting next to the water pump (guessing coolant flows through this...). Anyway, Do I need to remove this pipe to get to the trottle body or am I missing something and it's easier than this? I have some pics posted in my Throttle Body album. The engine is a standard 3.4L V6 GM engine. I searched the internet and found little information on how to remove this. I appreciate any suggestions, comments of feedback. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That pipe is part of the heater hose assembly.

If you want to be technical, yes, you have to remove/relocate that pipe. You have to disconnect the tiny hoses that circulate coolant into the throttle body and remove a nut holding the pipe to the throttle body. In doing so, you will have to pop it out of the water pump hosing and you have to replace an O-ring. Messing with that pipe and O-ring at the water pump housing can be a bit annoying (not to mention, usually it takes a lot of messing around to get it to release, removing the hold down bolt is not usually enough).

OR....
I've cheated this one before. Disconnect the coolant lines from the pipe to the throttle body. Remove the nut holding the pipe to a throttle body stud. Get a pair of pliers and bend that hold down out of the way (don't go crazy with it). Get a deep well socket and you can remove that stud. When you are done, bend it back, life is good.