Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Is this the reason for power steering fluid loss ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Default Is this the reason for power steering fluid loss ?

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo LS and I have to refill the power steering fluid SOOOOO often ! Its mainly only in high temperature months that I have to refill it. In the winter it just kinda solves itself somehow. (Possibly some type of rubber gasket that closes itself in the winter ? and o ring possibly ? idk).

I lifted my car up a little and snapped this photo of the only thing I could tell that was out of place. Would this have anything to do with power steering fluid loss ?

Old 03-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Andrew Carey
I have a 2002 Monte Carlo LS and I have to refill the power steering fluid SOOOOO often ! Its mainly only in high temperature months that I have to refill it. In the winter it just kinda solves itself somehow. (Possibly some type of rubber gasket that closes itself in the winter ? and o ring possibly ? idk).

I lifted my car up a little and snapped this photo of the only thing I could tell that was out of place. Would this have anything to do with power steering fluid loss ?

Hi Andrew & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

How many miles on your Monte ? 3.4L

Is there any visible signs of the leak ? Is there a puddle of fluids under your Monte or around the pumps ?

When you refilled your P.S. did you use the proper fluid ?

Have you checked all your P.S. connections ?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/power_steering_fluid.htm

Check the above link & maybe it may help + Check back on your thread to see what our expert tech member's post to help you...Good Luck

Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Hey ! Thanks for the greeting to the forum. You don't get that everyday haha. There are 145k miles on the car. The only visible type location is a few drips coming from roughly 0-6 inch from where the CV axle is on the drivers side. I don't really know too much about cars so I am finding it hard to describe the location accurately. If it helps here another way of saying it ? Lol. From the thing going to the front tire it connects at what I am guessing is the front axle ? I feel so stupid haha, anyways from the axle type thing connecting to my wheels it goes in to where it would not be easily accessible. The drips of PS fluid are leaking from that location that the wheel connects to underneath the vehicle

Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM

I have not checked all PS connections. Is there a photo showing where all the locations are ?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Cool

I have not checked all PS connections. Is there a photo showing where all the locations are ?

Hi Andrew,
I'm hoping one of our member's that's had this problem will see your thread & be able to assist you .

The below link has a few diagrams that may assist you.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/power_steering_fluid.htm
Click above link & explore. Also, keep checking back on your thread to see 'if one of our Member's post on your problem >Good Luck<

Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Cool Please help our new member>Thanks<

Bump'in this thread in hopes one of our member's that has knowledge on Monte's Power Steering & can help our new member `Andrew.

Please help `if you can > Thank You!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:09 PM

check around the steering rack

Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by johnniep
check around the steering rack
Mine was leaking p's fluid there...added Lucas rack not pinion fix....been dry for a while...see when the monte is out of storage next month

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by johnniep
Mine was leaking p's fluid there...added Lucas rack not pinion fix....been dry for a while...see when the monte is out of storage next month
The steering rack is located where underneath the vehicle ? I only have the crappy jack that came with the vehicle and it doesnt lift too high so I would rather know where it is before i try and fit myself underneath the vehicle haha.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM

The steering rack is located where underneath the vehicle ? I only have the crappy jack that came with the vehicle and it doesnt lift too high so I would rather know where it is before i try and fit myself underneath the vehicle haha.

Hi `Andrew, it was posted in the link that's in two of the posts I made on your thread.

Since you don't have the tools to do this repair, I suggest that you take your Monte Carlo to a trusted Mechanic to inspect your Monte. Good Luck!