Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Rear speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Default Rear speaker question

hello i am new and this forum, and have found some very useful help with some issues, so this will be my first question to the forum.

I have a 2006 MC with standard rear speakers, i have access to the to the premium option speakers, well 1 any way and can order an other from AC Delco......

So the question is , what would be in involved in installing the premium rear speakers? the wire connections are different.

is there a wire connection adapter or do i need to run wires all the way the the radio?

if it turns out to be a pain, i will get over it and live with it.

Thanks for you help

Thomas

Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM

Hi. I also have an '06 Monte (SS). I've also had my own car audio business for over 15 years. In my opinion, you're wasting your $$ buying the premium AC Delco sound system. If you want to upgrade your rear speakers, look into a known aftermarket brand of speakers. There are MANY quality replacement 6x9" speakers out there that are easy to mount and wire, and will sound muck better for your $ spent. PLease contact me directly if you need any further assistance or recommendations.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Most people dont replace rears in these cars, replace the fronts and call it a day. The rears in these cars basically 6x9 woofers, they produce the mid/lows, while your fronts produce mids/highs. So replace fronts, get a subwoofer in back, and call it a day. ^_^;

Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM

Thank you Mateo, Thank you Hiroska,
Sounds like sound advice, i am not in any hurry any way, but i will most likely call Crutchfield when the time comes.

however i have noticed now that i have been driving more than just to work, that the passenger side speaker doesn't always come on.
i took it out one day to check it out and it was working, the next day day it wasn't,
i thought the connector was a bit ugly, so i spliced a new one in
had the speaker working after i fixed it, the next morning no sound, 10 days later it came back. for 1 trip coming home from work

a couple days ago i took out the stereo out, before i did, there was no speaker,
i removed the stereo, wiggled the wires and plugs, and we have speaker again.
wiggled tested off and on for about 2 hours and no change or static of any kind.
just listening to the 1 speaker, the sound would drop out a bit from time to time.

the stereo seemed a bit hot to me, the fan was working but i had sound while messing with it.

the next morning ...nothing from that speaker.....

i am guessing the stereo it self has issues and will not play the passenger speaker unless it is in the right mood

Should i consider changing the stereo?
i found a refurb on eBay for about $75 and new replacements are 2-3oo $$++

there looks to be a boat load of splicing and dicing to adapt to new connectors for
an after market brand replacements

this is nothing like my 69 AMX ( 4 wires, antenna and done )

Any thoughts, opinions? or tried, true and tested problem solvers?

thanks

Thomas

Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 AM

The oem units are junk imo, ok for noise but otherwise a doorstop. If your budget can swing it go for a aftermarket deck with speakers all around, 6 3/4'' in doors are nice fit. If not,enjoy what you have.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Question stereo replacement opinions needed

KillerB thanks foir the input.

i would like to ask the forum a question...
If i go with an aftermarket stereo......
how are the mounting kits and trim adapters around the stereos.

i would hate to pick up a stereo and have the area around it look i replaced
it and there were gaps or the interior trim around the stereo stuck out.

i would like to keep the smooth clean look

so if folks have a nice clean look and would like to share
the models and part numbers, maybe a picture of the finished install

that would help me feel better about finding a replacement stereo

thanks...
yes i know i over think everything

Old 05-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by AMXTOMZO
KillerB thanks foir the input.

i would like to ask the forum a question...
If i go with an aftermarket stereo......
how are the mounting kits and trim adapters around the stereos.

i would hate to pick up a stereo and have the area around it look i replaced
it and there were gaps or the interior trim around the stereo stuck out.

i would like to keep the smooth clean look

so if folks have a nice clean look and would like to share
the models and part numbers, maybe a picture of the finished install

that would help me feel better about finding a replacement stereo

thanks...
yes i know i over think everything
The Metra install kits are the best imo, Close to factory color and texture, good fitment too.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Definately go with an aftermarket head unit. The factory refurb one is still a factory head unit- average sound quality at best. If you're comfortable with Crutchfield, they are a great source to order from - they can be a bit pricy at times, but they DO supply all the install accessories (wiring harnesses, adaptors, mounting kit) that you'll need, specific to your application. For someone like yourself who might be a bit leary on the wiring part of it, this should be a great help.
Im attaching a pic of my after market head unit installed. I agree - go with the Metra install kit (probably what you can expect from Crutchfield). It looks very smooth with the factory trim panel, as you had questioned...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20140528_001.jpg (86.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Once you change out your rear speakers, you will basically need to change out the fronts as well as the radio. The radios in these models are matched to meet the wattage for speaker vs radio. I like my factory unit, I keep my steering wheel options, the dings, the interior lighting the same, just looks cleaner to me imo. I HAVE changed out my radio in my 06 model however, and I felt like with the factory radio its just cleaner. But if you ARE going to change out the radio, be prepared to purchase a Harness, a kit, radio, and IF you want factory steering wheel options, an additional harness is needed. You will ALSO need to replace the fronts, and rear speakers, due to your going to eventually blow them cause of the power outtage of the aftermarket system.

The harness for our cars, from a local store is still 100+, unless online, I cant remember if the metra wiring harness would still work perfectly well....But just to upgrade the radio, youll be looking at close to 300. Fronts I recommend a nice set of 6.5s and rears 6x9s, a 4 channel amp for most output. The amp will replace the bass that you will potentially lose with swapping out everything.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 AM

Thanks again for the opinions
i had some time to poke around cruthfields website and explore some stereos and options.
looks like a lot more is involved then there used to be when i was 20. ( wow i just said that )
they do look to have the bases covered with kits, trim and adapters.
Mateo, pretty clean look there, i was concerned the the factory bezel would not be reused.

thanks again for the input, got a lot of choices to look through

Thomas