Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Protect Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 07:46 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Protect Steering Wheel Buttons

So, after a few trips to the junkyard, I have finally found what appear to be very nice steering wheel buttons. I plan to swap them out for the ones that are currently in the car since those ones are all scratched away. Is there a way that I can test them before I take the airbag out and swap them? I am afraid that they don't show any imperfections since the backlight isn't currently shining through them. Also, what is the best way to protect these new buttons so that they do not scratch off in the future? Some kind of clear coat Rustoleum spray paint? I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-28-2022, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could look up the circuit for the buttons and odds are apply ground and 12v to the right pins and they will probably light up.

As for keeping them looking good, I am not sure coating them will be the best answer. My advice, clean hands and trimmed nails. Any time I go to a restaurant, before I leave, I make sure to wash my hands. This avoids carrying food contaminants that might harm the interior into the car.

Funny story, I junk yard picked a set of wheel controls (with the bezels). I could tell they would clean up nice, but were disgustingly caked in hand lotion. I got them home, cleaned them up, and that lotion kept them looking BRAND NEW! Down to the slight texture on the bezels (not a single wear spot). Very impressed! And those are in my blue Monte now!

Old 05-02-2022, 02:32 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Very nice! The ones I got have that same texture to them so I am thinking they will be the best that I can find. Have you went through different sets of buttons over the years? I am trying to get a sense of how long they might take to wear out. The previous owner's wife had scratched them off pretty good, but with my nails I am not thinking that scratching will be an issue, more so rubbing from pressing. That's why I was thinking that some light coating would prevent that from happening. Also, do you have any tips as to taking the back two-piece steering column cover off? I have practiced on ones in the junkyard but I always seem to snap the clips off.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I bought my Monte, the original buttons were chipped up. I put new set from the junk yard in. My last swap was because of the hand lotion covered ones (they were super nice once cleaned). And I now own a second Monte with over 200K miles, from the original owner and the buttons are pretty minty.
Keep in mind, the back lighting is an incandescent bulb (which you can feel the heat of the bulb on the buttons). I would not push hard, avoid rubbing them (especially when the back light is on) and and as mentioned, cleanliness. I know the buttons in my car get touched by my interior cleaning products (leather treatment for the steering wheel, I have used Armoural and Meguiar's products). Not sure if that plays a roll in their preservation.