Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Programming remote..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Default Programming remote..

I found my keys finally. Now I want to be sure if I lose my keys again i'll have another key and a remote to unlock my doors. Now I plan on buying one offline somewhere and when I get it how can I program it? My factory radio is out and im away at college so is there any other way?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Programming remote..

It depends on what year it is. If it is old enough, I believe all you do is put in new batteries, stand near the drivers door, and push and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until it chirps or flashes or something. Been a few years since I did this, so I might be wrong. Anyone else know for sure?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM

I have an 03 SS if anyone can help.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM

If you do not have a factory radio installed which would allow you to access transmitterprogramming the only other method is with a GM Tech 2 scan tool.Pressing the lock & unlock button at the same time while near the vehicle will onlyresynchronize a previously programmedtransmitter back to the vehicleaftertransmitterbattery replacement.After you get your new transmittervisit your local Chevy dealer.Keep in mind that all of your transmitters must be programmed at the same time,so bring all of them with you.If they are not thieves they should do this for little or nothing in my opinion.I work at a Chevy dealer and I programtransmitters daily for free for my customers. Just a nice touch in this era where the general perception of the dealer by the public is that they are just a bunch of inept thieves! Not always the case! Attached is the procedure direct from GM Service Information.........

Document ID# 682874
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

[hr]

Transmitter Programming
Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
[ol]Install a scan tool.
Use the scan tool in order to access programming: Vehicle Control System/Computer Integrating System/Module Setup/BCM/Program Key Fobs.
Press the START soft key on the scan tool.
Important:The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10seconds, the scan tool will indicate that the transmitter is programmed.
Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4transmitters.
Remove the scan tool.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. [/ol]

[hr]

Document ID# 682874
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo