Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problems from start-up (Cold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Default Problems from start-up (Cold)

Hi everyone....this is my first post ever to a forum...so if I trample on some sacred rule...please feel free to school me.....

I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L 140,000 miles....I have corsa exhaust and cai...It has given me nothing but problems....I am going to list known and possible problems beginning with starting her cold...any info or help given is much appreciated...

...when i start it in the morning it sometimes jerks forward....it revs past the 1 on rpm gauge to about 1 1/2...it stays up there until I give it gas..then gradually drops to 1.....sometimes when its started it sounds like its gonna stall and the rpm gauge goes bonkers...it only happens sometimes and goes away when i apply gas...the entire time my cai is loud as hell..and then eventually quiets

....my fuel gauge gives the usual inaccurate readings as most...but I replaced the entire fuel pump...it got better but still does not give an accurate reading

....when i first start driving...it seems to be at a high rpm for speed and peddle pressure...about 35-40 mph...and it seems to possibly not be shifting..I had a problem with trans pressure solenoid...had my trans supposedly rebuilt but had a problem with the mechanic so I doubt it was actually rebuilt....I also replaced the PCM during the whole solenoid prob....it seems to take a little bit to shift anyways but could possibly be from the way I am applying pressure to the pedal

....idling seems rough..shaky...engine sounds rough during idle....acceleration seems to be slow...problems gaining speed on a hill

....the abs is violent noisy and has almost caused me to collide with various things a couple times

....I seem to be going through coolant and/or oil.....new waterpump, elbows, upper lower intake gaskets, thermostat.....when I turn her off...it smells as if something is burning...I dont think I am leaking...havent seen anything under car...used head gasket tester and it didnt turn colors..but I was having problems with the coolant rising after radiator cap was removed...small amount of coolant kept getting sucked up...so maybe I jacked the test up

...I also hear a knocking in the front driver side when I go over bumps....it rocks a lot...I feel every bump...I replaced strut mounts...struts are not in horrible condition...had a problem with a replaced cv popping out...replaced the cv shaft..still knocking...replaced intermediate steering shaft also

That's all I can think of right now....any questions or information anyone needs...I am happy to supply what I can...Thanks again for any help given

Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 4th-3v0
...when i start it in the morning it sometimes jerks forward....it revs past the 1 on rpm gauge to about 1 1/2...it stays up there until I give it gas..then gradually drops to 1.....sometimes when its started it sounds like its gonna stall and the rpm gauge goes bonkers...it only happens sometimes and goes away when i apply gas...the entire time my cai is loud as hell..and then eventually quiets
Your IAC valve might be caked with carbon, your throttle body might also be caked with carbon and need a good cleaning.

iac_01.jpg

....my fuel gauge gives the usual inaccurate readings as most...but I replaced the entire fuel pump...it got better but still does not give an accurate reading
Fuel Sending Unit is the usual culprit. Sometimes the stepper motor in the cluster can go bad, but that's not as common.

....when i first start driving...it seems to be at a high rpm for speed and peddle pressure...about 35-40 mph...and it seems to possibly not be shifting..I had a problem with trans pressure solenoid...had my trans supposedly rebuilt but had a problem with the mechanic so I doubt it was actually rebuilt....I also replaced the PCM during the whole solenoid prob....it seems to take a little bit to shift anyways but could possibly be from the way I am applying pressure to the pedal

....idling seems rough..shaky...engine sounds rough during idle....acceleration seems to be slow...problems gaining speed on a hill
These could be catalytic converter clogging

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM

hey thanks for the reply....and the cool visual.....def will check those....as far as the fuel sending unit...my gauge originally would go from just about E to full when gas was applied...new fuel pump...it stopped doing that...now just is inaccurate...changes all the time....you would say sending unit still even if i already changed the fuel pump...and I am losing oil and coolant...check engine light for evap keeps coming on and off....im worried about continuing to drive...should i be?

Thanks again for all the mechanics that take the time out to help us non-auto minded individuals

Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the gauge is constantly moving, it could be a stepper motor problem.

Are you losing oil and coolant for sure? You might have a Lower Intake Manifold gasket starting to go.

EVAP is probably your gas cap or the vent valve

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM

yeah im sure im losing both...and everytime i get out of the vehicle I smell something burning...I had the lower upper gaskets along with the thermostat replaced less than a year ago...though It is completely possible shoddy work was done....I also am using gas at a highly accelerated rate...used about 10 miles worth going about 5 miles...not sure if that is related to the oil coolant problem