Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Preserving Millage on a 2001 odometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Default Preserving Millage on a 2001 odometer

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. My electronic cluster recently broke down on me. I found a replacement on ebay. I thought that the millage was stored in the main system of the car and the millage would update once connecting the replacement cluster. To my surprise, millage is stored in the cluster and after connecting it, it read the millage from it's previous car, which is 236,000 miles. My car's original millage is 167,000. I am trying to preserve my millage onto the replacement cluster. I've looked up a bunch of youtube videos and I know it's as simple as swaping out the eeprom chip in the cluster which involves some soldering. Does anyone know exactly which chip stores the millage on a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS??? There are multiple computer chips on the cluster board and I don't want to remove the wrong one. No shops will mess with my odometer, even though I am just trying to preserve the correct millage on my car. I know I can do this once I know which chip to swap. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately, I do not know which chip. I have heard of some repair services able to re-program the mileage (which I would love to find out how they do it, as a TechII cannot).

Curious, what died on your other cluster? It might be easier to repair it vs moving the chips.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Unfortunately, I do not know which chip. I have heard of some repair services able to re-program the mileage (which I would love to find out how they do it, as a TechII cannot).

Curious, what died on your other cluster? It might be easier to repair it vs moving the chips.
Originally, all the lights on the cluster weretwitching on and off, and all the gauges were going up and down. It was also making a weird noise. As if it was struggling to make a connection. I took it to an auto electric shop where they were trying to solder some stuff, and ended up leaving it worse with none of the gauges working. I hope I can figure this out soon. I need my car running. Thanks.