Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 MC SS Instrument Cluster Gauge replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2000 MC SS Instrument Cluster Gauge replacement

I'm replacing my cluster guage in my '00 SS with the same gauge from a Pace Car and I wanted to know, will you not get your car's correct mileage? Or will the replacement guage only show the mileage the car it came out of had? Can the odometer be programmed/reset to YOUR car's correct mileage?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To my knowledge, the odometer reading is stored in the cluster and the BCM, but they will not "sync" once programmed. You cannot re-program the cluster or BCM (at least not with a GM Tech II). I have heard of some repair shops that can supposedly reprogram the cluster mileage.

Questions:
- Why are you changing the cluster?
- What year are you putting it into? If my memory serves, 2000 is a "weird" year and I think a 2000 cluster is only good with other 2000s.... Don't quote me on that, as I am not 100% sure.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
To my knowledge, the odometer reading is stored in the cluster and the BCM, but they will not "sync" once programmed. You cannot re-program the cluster or BCM (at least not with a GM Tech II). I have heard of some repair shops that can supposedly reprogram the cluster mileage.

Questions:
- What year are you putting it into? If my memory serves, 2000 is a "weird" year and I think a 2000 cluster is only good with other 2000s.... Don't quote me on that, as I am not 100% sure.
- My factory cluster back lighting bulbs are dying and I simply cannot replace the bulbs without soldering or shipping off to service. The area where I see my shift gear and mileage doesn't even light up anymore.
- I believe it is from an '02 SS Pace Car, but the listing said it is compatible with my SS with the same gauges. I don't see why it won't work..it is EXACTLY the same except for the Pace Car "Limited Edition" and Chevy bowtie printed on it ..

Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

Questions:
Well, I am "quoting" you because I just did the opposite - I bought a used 2000 SS cluster to hopefully use in my late model year 2001 SS, if it works, while I get steppers and lights replaced in mine. If this is true, it sounds like Fatalc and I may need to trade? Any idea how we can confirm this? The power seats are different but it seems hard to believe they would redesign the cluster/circuit for one year. But, then again, it was GM.

Does it create sync issues to do the temporary swap while you get the original repaired and then reinstall?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:54 PM

Just call these guys, ask them your questions and get a quote.

https://circuitboardmedics.com/quote-request-form/

https://www.gmgaugerepair.com

https://www.instrumentclusters.com

Better to deal with a company that will offer a warranty, than to chance buying used, IMO.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 PM

True, but... how do you drive your car while you are getting the repairs?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Glen01SS
Well, I am "quoting" you because I just did the opposite - I bought a used 2000 SS cluster to hopefully use in my late model year 2001 SS, if it works, while I get steppers and lights replaced in mine. If this is true, it sounds like Fatalc and I may need to trade? Any idea how we can confirm this? The power seats are different but it seems hard to believe they would redesign the cluster/circuit for one year. But, then again, it was GM.

Does it create sync issues to do the temporary swap while you get the original repaired and then reinstall?
I bought an '02 cluster from a SS Pace Car. How does your 2000 cluster look?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 PM

It looks exceptionally nice - no scratches or hazing on the lens. And, I just noticed that it has a sticker with no obvious date that says Factory Authorized Remanufactured. I do not know if it works but it came out of a car with a very nice interior, very good paint (except for the totaled front end) and all soft weatherstrips. I have a High Sport edition so I have the Limited Edition panel like a Pace Car. I'll PM you some photos when I get a chance.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member

This is the cluster I wamma put in, in case anyone is wondering

Old 08-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by FatalcMCSS
- My factory cluster back lighting bulbs are dying and I simply cannot replace the bulbs without soldering or shipping off to service. The area where I see my shift gear and mileage doesn't even light up anymore.
- I believe it is from an '02 SS Pace Car, but the listing said it is compatible with my SS with the same gauges. I don't see why it won't work..it is EXACTLY the same except for the Pace Car "Limited Edition" and Chevy bowtie printed on it ..
The Mileage area is typically a group of failed solder connection to to some resistors or transistors (somewhere there was a write up on this). It's a simple re-touch with a soldering iron in most cases.
And as you said, the bulbs are a job that requires soldering.

I have not had to do it on the Monte, but the work is the same, I have soldering new bulbs and step motors on a cluster for a Sierra and a LeSabre. If you are OK with basic soldering, the job is really easy. If you are planning to keep the car for more years, you may want to invest in repairing a cluster, otherwise, you are installing another aged cluster with potentially the same problems coming up. Just food for thought.

I looked at the connector pin outs for the 2000 and 2002 Monte. It appears they are a match. So I might be wrong about the comparability. But something is telling me I read someone with an issue before. You already have the cluster, so worst that happens is that you plug it in and it does not work.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 MC SS Instrument Cluster Gauge replacement