Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Passenger side turn signal acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 10:32 PM
Default Passenger side turn signal acting strange

I have an 01 LS, I noticed this morning that when I turn my right hand turn signal on it wasn’t blinking in the front or the rear and not showing the green arrow on the dash, it was also making the audible clicking noise inside but much faster then normal. The driver side is working fine and both sets work as normal if the hazards are on.

I put a new turn signal bulb inside and it worked for all of 10 seconds before crapping out again. Now that audio clicking sounds plays rapidly inside the cab regardless if any turn light is on or not, don’t know where to go from here

Old 10-03-2022, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That rapid clicking is a typical indication for a bulb being out. You mentioned replacing them and it lasted for 10 seconds and the condition returned. Anything modified about your signals? I ask because it sounds like something might be shorting out the bulbs and blowing them out.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:19 PM

The thing is that the bulbs are just fine, if I hit the hazard button all 4 lights blinkers turn on and blink just fine with both green arrows illuminated on the dash. I’m thinking it may be a relay but I’m not sure

Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 AM

10 Year Member

It is weird that you mentioned after replacing the bulbs, the signals worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped. I know that the "brains" the signals is the flasher module, which in these cars is also the hazard button. Try activating a turn signal. When it is not doing anything, leave the signal activated. Press the hazard button to then activate the 4 way flashers, then de-activate the 4 way flashers. If the turn signal magically works as soon as you de-activate the hazards, then this is a pretty 99% chance it is the flasher module/hazard switch. I have seen that happen a few times.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It is weird that you mentioned after replacing the bulbs, the signals worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped. I know that the "brains" the signals is the flasher module, which in these cars is also the hazard button. Try activating a turn signal. When it is not doing anything, leave the signal activated. Press the hazard button to then activate the 4 way flashers, then de-activate the 4 way flashers. If the turn signal magically works as soon as you de-activate the hazards, then this is a pretty 99% chance it is the flasher module/hazard switch. I have seen that happen a few times.

i tried playing around yesterday with my hazards and unfortunately my hazards are now stuck on, clicking the button will not turn them off so it’s definitely this hazard module, of course with my luck none of my parts store have it in stock so I pulled the hazard fuse until I can get a part in, just a little dodgy driving around with no turn signals

Old 10-04-2022, 01:19 PM

10 Year Member

I actually sell modded hazard modules for use with full LED turn signals (they will work with normal turn signals, but they will no longer notify if you have a bulb out). I charge $40 shipped. More info in the thread below.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...signals-62250/

Sometimes the right touch with light pressure to the top or bottom of the button can affect it. My modded flashers, are salvage. I test them on a bench tester I have multiple times. If the button seems questionable, I toss them. I believe I have found a process that refurb these from another common issue they have been known to have.

If you ever plan to do LED turn signal bulbs, this could be a good time to switch the flasher. If not, you can leverage one from the local parts store.