Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Parasitic drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Parasitic drain

Hello everyone. I finally figured out the drivability issue with my monte. Ended up being the MAF. I had replaced it only a few hundred miles ago. But, replaced it again and now the engine runs good. I did replace the BCM also thinking it was the cause of other issues. It did solve the driving lights staying on issue. But, I have a parasitic drain on the battery. I did the test light hooked to battery negative post and ground wire method. It shows a drain. The very last fuse in the interior fuse box turned off the light. The fuse is marked BCM/cluster. Any ideas? If I leave that fuse out the battery does not go dead. I left it in tonight and will see if the battery is dead tomorrow. I haven't left everything hooked up overnight since replacing the BCM. Now my daytime running lights only come on when the car is put in gear. Before they came on as soon as I started the car. Even in park. I hope that the way it is now is right? Any help on the drain and on when the daytime running lights should be on would be much appreciated.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Default Parasitic drain

Hello again all. I'm not sure how to navigate this site very well. I wanted to give an update on my parasitic drain issue. I left all the fuses in it overnight and it started right up today. I tested the amp draw with a multi meter today and its .055. From what I have read that is acceptable. So, hopefully changing the BCM fixed my problems. The only issue I am still having is the fuel gauge. I replaced the pump and sender assembly. Ever since then the fuel gauge shows full when I first start the car. And I do have a full tank. But, after about 20 seconds the gauge drops to empty and the Low fuel warnings come on. It stays at empty until I cycle the key. Any thoughts???? Thank you everyone for your help so far. It is much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:59 PM

ignition switch, or bad stepper motor for the gas gauge. Less likely to be the fuel gauge mount in the fuel tank or the relay from the tank to the ecm

Old 03-22-2021, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Default Gas gauge

Thank you xpage. I actually replaced the ignition switch when I did the fuel pump. I thought it might be the cause of the parasitic drain. Maybe the switch is bad. Today when I drove it, the daytime running lights did not come on. They used to come on when I put the car in gear. Today only the park lights came on. I even pulled out the light switch and still had no low beam lights. High beams work. There is some weird things happening. I already replaced the BCM too.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:16 PM

I had a ton of issues until I used an OEM ignition switch, dorman isn't that for this piece of equipment. hope you find the issue and when you do post an update here