Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Generation 03 SS Pace Car BCM issue

Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Default 6th Generation 03 SS Pace Car BCM issue

Hi. If I placed this in the wrong section I apologize.

This is what's going on.
It hasn't happened recently but it was happening in the cold weather a lot.

I would go to turn on my car and it wouldn't start. At all.

The only 3 ways it would start are by doing one of the following:

Putting my foot on the brake, turning the car to the on position and leaving it there for like 10 seconds before starting the car. (This only worked sometimes)

Putting the car in Neutral and then starting it. (This only worked like 2 times)

Opening the left side fuse panel and pulling out the BCM fuse and plugging it back in. (This always works)

Funny thing is that this hasn't happened again since it got warmer but im still worried about it. The car sometimes takes like 2 seconds to start when I turn the key. I'll hold the key in and it will literally tale almost 2 seconds before the starter and engine turn over.

I took the car to auto zone and was told that the BCM is throwing out a code.

Does this mean my bcm is going bad? Or could it be that it quite simply was never programmed correctly?

I bought the car (at a dealer) and the previous owner (before they got repoed) had a ghettofied hookup of a audio system in there and the alternator is barely a year old. They even had the radio fuse wrapped in a wire and then plugged into it's fuse setting.

Could they have fried the BCM? Or could they quote simply have changed it and never got it programmed correctly?

The only thing electrically that doesn't work on my car right now is the electronic door locks. Neither side works. I thought it was the door lock actuator. But now I'm wondering if it's the BCM. Everything else works fine.

But I had to change a lot of fuses when I first bought the car. The previous owner blew quite a number of them.

How do I check if the BCM was programmed correctly?

Any advice on what to do?
Excuse the lengthy post.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Opening the left side fuse panel and pulling out the BCM fuse and plugging it back in. (This always works)

Disconnect your battery, then pull the fuse. Use a small flat file to clean the fuse receptacle and the legs of the fuse. Reinstall the fuse and connect the battery. Start the vehicle and let it run for a minute. Shut the vehicle off, wait a couple minutes then restart the vehicle. Chances are there was an oxidized/dirty connection and the above will resolve the problem.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE

Disconnect your battery, then pull the fuse. Use a small flat file to clean the fuse receptacle and the legs of the fuse. Reinstall the fuse and connect the battery. Start the vehicle and let it run for a minute. Shut the vehicle off, wait a couple minutes then restart the vehicle. Chances are there was an oxidized/dirty connection and the above will resolve the problem.

Should I spray electrical connector spray as well?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by AlSpaulding
Should I spray electrical connector spray as well?
Do you really want to spray a liquid into your fuse block?....I wouldn't.