Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

P0440

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
Question P0440

does anyone have a way of looking into a P0440 code? (that doesn't involve a shop)

Heres what I found..
This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

I have noticed a drop in gas mileage, but with my luck lately, I figured it was just par for the course. I also seem to have a very very very slow oil leak somewhere, I changed my oil about 3 months ago, and the low engine oil light came on, this is the 3rd time in a row that Ive changed my oil and that light has come on a few months down the road.. (and yes, i am putting the correct amount of oil in lol)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kschmidt319
does anyone have a way of looking into a P0440 code? (that doesn't involve a shop)

Heres what I found..
This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

I have noticed a drop in gas mileage, but with my luck lately, I figured it was just par for the course. I also seem to have a very very very slow oil leak somewhere, I changed my oil about 3 months ago, and the low engine oil light came on, this is the 3rd time in a row that Ive changed my oil and that light has come on a few months down the road.. (and yes, i am putting the correct amount of oil in lol)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Have you gotten any work done lately, like as far as the fuel system goes? I also had that problem about 2mnths ago after I had a new fuel pump installed but it tuned out it was a hose that was leaking. Anyhow id start with the simple cheap things like the gas cap, check for cracks in the rubber seal then go from there. They say those componets hardly and rarely go out but there is a chance one or more can you never know

Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 PM

I just had this code last week. I replaced my gas cap. The oring seal was getting cracks in it. Filled with gas and used the new gas cap, and no codes yet. Cheapest thing to try $11 at Advance Auto Parts. Hope this helps.