Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Overheating Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Default Overheating Need Help

I have a 2003 Monte 3.4 motor. The car is overheating while driving, but not when it is idled. I have changed the thermostat and the radiator fans. Also there was water beads in the transmission dipstick and was overfull. Not sure what else to check or do?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be fan relays, water pump, or a clogged radiator. Was air bled from the system after the T-stat replacement?

Here's a thread that might help, ignore the "When idling" part: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...-idling-53823/

I wouldn't worry too much about the water beads on the trans. dipstick. It's normal to have some condensation in the transmission.

Last edited by plumbob; 11-30-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added link to thread
Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Actually I am concerned about the water beads/overfill on the trans. I have not heard of a Monte radiator doing this, but I have heard of some cars where the radiator has a failure allowing the trans cooling section and coolant cooling sections to intermix.

Can you tell if that is anti-freeze in the trans? Any other symptoms? Has the car's computer been checked to see if what the computer is reading matches what the instrument cluster is showing?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you touch your radiator? It should be hot at the top where the coolant re-enters the radiator and cooler at the bottom of the radiator for when the coolant re-enters the engine. If the whole radiator is the same temp you could be having a clogged radiator and are in need of a good cooling system flushing.

Do you live where there are a lot of bugs. If the radiator and a/c condenser fins are full of bugs and debris this would block the air flow and cause you to overheat while up at road speeds.

coolant-flow_zpsclhdy9ml.jpg

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Actually I am concerned about the water beads/overfill on the trans. I have not heard of a Monte radiator doing this, but I have heard of some cars where the radiator has a failure allowing the trans cooling section and coolant cooling sections to intermix.

Can you tell if that is anti-freeze in the trans? Any other symptoms? Has the car's computer been checked to see if what the computer is reading matches what the instrument cluster is showing?
Jason, I agree with you. A significant amount of water in the trans. fluid will definitely break down the fluid, rust the ferrous parts like solenoids, and break down the glue bonding the paper like material to the clutch/friction plates resulting in premature failure.
The condensation I refer to results from short drives in cold weather and the transmission doesn't get hot enough to heat the fluid and condensation which naturally forms in these conditions and gets eliminated out the transmission vent when hot enough.
See link: How do I know when to flush my transmission? | Expert Advice from leading Fast Lube suppliers
Significant water should cause a noticeable foam or a "Strawberry milkshake" like look to the fluid. Might have to drain the fluid to check that.
I believe coolant in the fluid would also show a high reading on the trans. dipstick.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Jason, I agree with you. A significant amount of water in the trans. fluid will definitely break down the fluid, rust the ferrous parts like solenoids, and break down the glue bonding the paper like material to the clutch/friction plates resulting in premature failure.
The condensation I refer to results from short drives in cold weather and the transmission doesn't get hot enough to heat the fluid and condensation which naturally forms in these conditions and gets eliminated out the transmission vent when hot enough.
See link: How do I know when to flush my transmission? | Expert Advice from leading Fast Lube suppliers
Significant water should cause a noticeable foam or a "Strawberry milkshake" like look to the fluid. Might have to drain the fluid to check that.
I believe coolant in the fluid would also show a high reading on the trans. dipstick.
THIS

if tranny fluid level climbing and water droplets on dipstick could be rad tranny cooler

Cooling system pressure test would be appropriate

Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by montedd
THIS

if tranny fluid level climbing and water droplets on dipstick could be rad tranny cooler

Cooling system pressure test would be appropriate
Agreed.