Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
3 Year Member

Hello JaxJim and Maniac. Armed with my new car knowledge that you guys provided, I checked the oil and it looked like it was supposed to. I took it for a 2nd opinion Friday morning, and the new mechanic did the same thing before he pressure checked the coolant system. Low and behold my original guy is either really stupid or a crook! I did have a leak and it was the plastic elbow thingys!!! I cannot thank you enough! I had to hold myself back from going to the original mechanic and blowing a gasket (me, not the car) in his waiting room! Now I'm wondering about other work that he's done on my car and my son's. grrrrrrr

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Wow, I'm glad you got a second opinion. That probably saved you a small fortune. Yea, I would question a mechanic that gives you a worst case diagnosis, when it was a relatively small leak and an easy fix. Well, I'm happy for you. That had to be really good news when you heard it.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am really glad JaxJim and I were able to help!!

Out of curiousity, did this mechanic re-pressure test the system after changing the plastic elbows? I only say that because on my mom's '97 Grand Prix, the elbows were first and then after I changed them, I did find the intake gaskets are bad (it's sitting in my driveway awaiting my time to finish it up, she's driving another car and the Grand Prix is being sold when I'm done).

Regardless, mistaking the elbows for head gaskets, that's a HUGE difference!! I'm not going to automaticlly assume the first mechanic is a crook (unless you've had other issues like that). The best of us do make honest mistakes or are too hasty in diagnosis to get proper answers (it does sting though when that mistake is made by a "professional", but it does happen).

Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
3 Year Member

The 2nd mechanic rechecked the pressure and test drove my car to make sure all was well. Hopefully I will get close to or more than 200m miles like I have on 2 of my other Montes! :-) Thx again!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Awesome! May you have many miles with little or NO problems!!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 AM

i am glad that you had a second opinion. most shops asume the worst befor doing a pressure test. it is wiered and sad because they seem to be distracted when getting a diagnostic done on it. but on the bright side there is always other shops eger for the work and willing to double check every thing to make sure if it is some thing simple first then checking for some thing serius. to make sure you will think of them first and mention there name after the work is done. i am glad you are happy driving your monte again

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
3 Year Member

Thanks Monte07! :-)

Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Before going for the head gasket route, I would advise putting a pressure tester on the radiator (if you don't have one see if the local auto parts store has a loan-a-tool on it) and putting I think it's 13-15 lbs of pressure in the system. This is not so much to test the radiator but the entire cooling system.

When you do this, listen for a hissing sound around the engine. Common point of failure is the plastic elbows the connect the intake and water pump to the tensioner pulley bracket (used for the heater hoses to pass coolant through).

The other area is lower intake gaskets.

I did this method on my mom's '97 Grand Prix (3800 v6). I first found the bad plastic elbow ($3 from almost any parts store) and could see tell-tale signs of coolant around it before pressurizing the system. I replaced it and before adding fluids, re-tested the system. Found the lower intake gaskets are also bad on her car. Since she has another vehicle, I have put this project on hold to tend to other matters.
Hi I also have a 2001 Monte Carlo the coolant light is on and the car runs hot and screams high coolant level, high coolant level, high coolant level! ): There's no heat but the car blows heat in the summer and air in the winter. I've had this car since March and the coolant light would go on and off until recently running hot, I guess. I had a radiator flush & for about a day had heat YEAH!!! A mechanic said a thermostat but after reading your replies to others not sure ifs that the problem & it worked for a second with the radiator flush. I'm thinking it has something to do with the coolant not circulating properly to the radiator? What do you think? PLEASE HELP!!! & thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by pearlring
Radiator 6 months old. No Leaks and water pump working. I have taken it to my regular mechanic and he's saying it's a blown head gasket. I was hoping there was a simpler explanation. :-) Are you in Jax, Fl.
was the car blowing heat??? My Monte 2001 is running hot but when I popped the hood its not hot, I hear bubbling though. I've had a radiator flush & a new thermostat and something blown out. I've never had heat, well occasionally, but the car never said high coolant level until recently. The mechanic is saying blown head gasket but plastic elbows sound better! Was your problem affecting your heat? I only get cold air when I turn on my heat

Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 AM

heater problems- possible restrictions in heater core, esp if the radiator was filthy, or had the orange clay in it. this is typical for systems which do not see service very often. gm says dexcool is 100,000 mi coolant. i highly recommend you flush this type of coolant regularly in order to not have this type of problem. the heater core could be the bubbling you hear, and it could be the radiator. also, if you have a head gasket leak, depending on the type of gasket leak, you could be getting air introduced into the system which could cause a air pocket and not allow the coolant to circulate properly. air locked systems will sometimes be very hot on one hose, and not hot in another (lower hose, vs upper hose.) coolant elbows are very common on these motors to have leaks, as are the lower intake gaskets on the 3.1's and 3.4's , and even the upper plenum or plastic part on top of the 3.8. i have seen the upper plenum completely full of water before. there is an egr port that must be changed when replacing a upper plenum, and this is critical to keep the new plenum safe from having the same problems. the tube will melt the gasket and let water where it should not be. remember, your coolant sensor works off of water temp. if you have no water in the system, the sensor will not read properly. by the time it says high, it may be too late. the coolant level sensor is on the radiator on most models, and it doesnt have to be extremely low to cause this sensor to trigger the light to come on and off. i have had these sensors actually stick to where they show it is low when it isnt. sometimes you can do a "technical tap" on the sensor, and get the light to go off with no problem. other times, the sensor must be replaced.

Quick Reply: overheating