Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 AM
3 Year Member
Angry overheating

2001 Monte Carlo SS overheating. New thermostat, fans working. Low coolant light pops on and off. Any suggestions?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Is the coolant low? (The low coolant sensor says it is). If so, that's why the car is overheating. Fill it with coolant and monitor the level. If it's loosing coolant, you'll need to find the source of the leak and repair it.

If you recently had a low coolant situation, and recently refilled the radiator, it's possible that there's an air pocket in the system. You'd need to bleed the air out of the system before the engine will cool properly. (then monitor the level of the coolant as above.)

If the coolant level is full, your fans are working, thermstat is good, there's no air in the system and you're overheating, then I think is gotta be either a gunked up radiator or a bad water pump.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
3 Year Member

Radiator 6 months old. No Leaks and water pump working. I have taken it to my regular mechanic and he's saying it's a blown head gasket. I was hoping there was a simpler explanation. :-) Are you in Jax, Fl.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 AM
3 Year Member

Also, I've had 4 Montes. 1977,1985,1997 and 2001.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by pearlring
Radiator 6 months old. No Leaks and water pump working. I have taken it to my regular mechanic and he's saying it's a blown head gasket. I was hoping there was a simpler explanation. :-) Are you in Jax, Fl.
Before going for the head gasket route, I would advise putting a pressure tester on the radiator (if you don't have one see if the local auto parts store has a loan-a-tool on it) and putting I think it's 13-15 lbs of pressure in the system. This is not so much to test the radiator but the entire cooling system.

When you do this, listen for a hissing sound around the engine. Common point of failure is the plastic elbows the connect the intake and water pump to the tensioner pulley bracket (used for the heater hoses to pass coolant through).

The other area is lower intake gaskets.

I did this method on my mom's '97 Grand Prix (3800 v6). I first found the bad plastic elbow ($3 from almost any parts store) and could see tell-tale signs of coolant around it before pressurizing the system. I replaced it and before adding fluids, re-tested the system. Found the lower intake gaskets are also bad on her car. Since she has another vehicle, I have put this project on hold to tend to other matters.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Ouch. That's a major repair. I've heard of a lot of people with GM motors having intake manifold gaskets leak (mine included). I think that's the first head gasket issue I've seen posted. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyway, yea, I'm in Jacksonville. Home of the Jaguars, who I just read are 7 point underdogs this week to a 1-5 team that is playing without their starting quarterback. (the dreaded Cowboys). Are you in J-ville too?

So this is your fourth Monte Carlo? It may be your last after this experience!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM

The Maniac gives a great suggestion.

When I found that my 3.1 liter was loosing coolant - and it was going into the oil (the oil looked like chocolate milk), I assumed it was the head gasket. I was ready to tear the whole engine down. Luckily, a friend who works on these cars told me that the intake manifold gasket on my motor goes bad on a regular basis. Thankfully I found this out, because it saved me a bunch of time and money. The intake manifold repair was one afternoon and about $50. Maybe your problem is something much less expensive and time consuming than a head gasket. Definately check into it.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JaxJim
The Maniac gives a great suggestion.

When I found that my 3.1 liter was loosing coolant - and it was going into the oil (the oil looked like chocolate milk), I assumed it was the head gasket. I was ready to tear the whole engine down. Luckily, a friend who works on these cars told me that the intake manifold gasket on my motor goes bad on a regular basis. Thankfully I found this out, because it saved me a bunch of time and money. The intake manifold repair was one afternoon and about $50. Maybe your problem is something much less expensive and time consuming than a head gasket. Definately check into it.
Head gaskets on these cars shouldn't be too bad (that is if someone can do it themselves without a mechanic). I did the head gaskets on my 3100 v6 and helped a friend with head gaskets on his girlfriend's 4th gen Camaro with a 3800. Not too big a deal. Takes some time.

The plus side with the Montes, unlike the Camaro, a bulk of the engine is not tucked under the cowl (that was the only pain point on the Camaro).

I'm still hesitant on the head gasket being bad. OH another thing to watch for if it is the head gasket, you might get clous of white smoke out the exhaust (and most people say it will smell "sweet or like anti-freeze"). You can also check the oil on you dipstick. If it looks milky in color, you have oil and antifreeze mixing.

Just some of my opinions. I would ensure your information is correct before pushing forward (this is because I do 99% of my own work and I've seen plenty of others get bad service from "professionals")....

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
3 Year Member

Jax Jim. Yes to Jax area and thx for the input. Go Jags. Maybe they'll surprise us!
Maniac, thx 2 u 2! You guys are great!
I am taking Friday off and getting a 2nd opinion. I'll let u know what I find out. And, I wish I could work on my own car. :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by pearlring
Jax Jim. Yes to Jax area and thx for the input. Go Jags. Maybe they'll surprise us!
Maniac, thx 2 u 2! You guys are great!
I am taking Friday off and getting a 2nd opinion. I'll let u know what I find out. And, I wish I could work on my own car. :-)
I hope it turns out to be less costly for ya! Even though I don't take a car to a mechanic (as I am the mechanic for my fleet), I recommend those who do, find a mechanic you can TRUST! May not be the cheapest, may not be the most expensive, but having a straight shooter that you trust is valuable.

BTW - Growing up, I'm a computer geek (still a geek) and never thought I would EVER wrench on a car. My dad drag me into that realm after I got my first car. And I am so happy I know what I do now. I've saved a lot of money (and sure, sometimes my life was inconvienced by unexpected repairs, but I was not at the mercy of someone else's schedule). I also look at it as if I ever have to take the car to a mechanic, the more I know the better I am at communicating with the mechanic (and hopefully not be taken advantage of).

Again, good luck!!! Hopefully it turns out not to be a head gasket.

Quick Reply: overheating