Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil Change in excruciating detail please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Oil Change in excruciating detail please

A good Oil Filter Wrench is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT tools that anybody who does their own oil changes NEEDS. There's no such thing as "Easy-Off" That's a Marketing angle to get you to buy a Brand Name filter. Coatings, rubberized grip-dip and Certified Pope Blessed is just something that they say is great to get guys who believe the hype buy a certain filter.

Just like you did!

Get yourself a QUALITY Oil Filter Wrench. Don't buy a cheap one. Do the right thing.
Trust me ... you'll be very happy that you have it ... every time you do the oil.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess that would be good to have in the toolbox. The KN is 'easy off' because it has a bolt on the top for removal with a regular socket wrench or whatever.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 PM

You are spending $15.00 (or more) for an Oil Filter ... right?
That's ridiculous!
Man, that's Highway Robbery!
Hype grabbed a hold of you and didn't let go!
Your getting a 5-dollar Oil Filter with a 10-dollar decal and gimmick.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM

......but I waaaaaaant iiiiit!

Seriously tho, its well known that only NOS decals add more horsepower than K&N decals.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Well, well, well. Its done. Over, finally.

Car up on the ramp risers, oil plug out, drain used oil. Easy enough. Then things went awry.

The search for the oil filter was a short one, conveniently placed near the drain plug. Problem is, the darn thing is recessed far back into its own little hole. My strap-style removal tool was now useless. Luckily, I had some mechanics gloves, and with some extreme effort and cursing, it finally loosened. Problem #2 - the filter is recessed back, pointing straight down. This means a very unhappy hot oil explosion all over my luckily gloved hands when the filter came out.

OK, time to put in the K&N oil filter. Those fellers were good enough to put a 1" nut on top of the filter, making it perfect for putting in and taking out of a recessed hole. Just gotta grab the......you gotta be kidding me! I have a 220 piece 'professional' tool kit with NO 1" SOCKET OR WRENCH!!! Im now making up curse words to scream at the top of my lungs.

OK, no problem. I have grippy gloves. Ill screw it in by hand. Sure, the gloves are a bit oily now, but whats the worst that could happen?

It was a pain to get to, but I screwed the filter in as best I could. Pretty tight. Put new oil in. No leaks. Lets fire this baby up.

She starts perfectly, followed by a sound roughly equivalent to the blood splatter soundtrack in the Kill Bill movies. I look underneath, and oil is shooting out of the filter area with impressive ferocity. The pavement is now 5 quarts of Mobil1 richer. No cursing now, just sobbing.

The fight ends with me biking my butt to the store to get that 1" socket and more Mobil1, thanking my lucky stars that at least I didnt waste expensive oil.

Turns out the filter wasnt in too tight at all. The right tools did the job. Cant wait for next time.....

Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM

lol well im sry to hear u had problems with the oil change...just so u do know the regular oil filters are only supposed to be tightened on by hand, u r not supposed use ur fliter wrench to tighten it...i am not sure how it works with the k and n filter tho

Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM

You angered the gods by spending all that extra dough for a pretty-looking oil filter instead of getting a non-designer name brand.
Why didn't your tool kit have a 1-Inch Socket?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic

You angered the gods by spending all that extra dough for a pretty-looking oil filter instead of getting a non-designer name brand.
Good question. That turned out to be a costly omission.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic

I've got a similar Craftsman kit and it doesn't have one either. Goes up to 15/16ths. Never will figure that out.

Just FYI on the oil filter though, you don't need to crank the hell out of it. All the filters I have ever replaced have been hand tight with no problems.

This is given because of the oil explosion, but in the future you should prep the filters gasket by putting your finger in the oil and smearing a bit around the top surface just so it is shiny.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also make sure all of the gasket came off of the old oil filter. Try to clean the area of any gunk or pieces of old gasket where the newoil filteris going to seal against the engine. This may also be a reason for your oil leak.