Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Which oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Gotta drain your old stuff first
It was just yesterday that I switched from syntec to mobile one FS. Im kicking myself in hte *** for not going with this oil earlier. I think you have to stay with synthetic once you put it in though.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I switched over to Mobil One for the 05 and I'm debating whether to switch the 03 over, or just use a synthetic blend. Right now I use natural oil in the 03.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverstreak
so i'm thinking of putting a full synthetic in. right now i have a synthetic blend in the monte and i'm pretty pleased, so i figure why not try full synthetic. do u need to do anything before u put full synthetic in or just dump it in?????
Just dump it in, nothing special about the switch. I personally recommend Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, and use a good quality filter.

Not that I would ever use anything but a full synthetic in any of my cars, it will not hurt anything if you switch between fully synthetic and conventional, or mix the two. I'm not saying do it, because I think synthetics are the ONLY way to go for oils. But it will not hurt anything if you do switch/ mix the two. (it says so right on the back of the bottle).

Also, use a good quality filter (doesn't matter what kind of oil you're using, just use a good filter).

Lastly, synthetic blend motor oils are a waste of money. They are NOT a 50/50 blend, the are more like 85/15, pretty much a conventional oil, with a price tag that is pretty close to full synthetic.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I'm debating whether to switch the 03 over, or just use a synthetic blend. Right now I use natural oil in the 03.
Make the switch, you can't beat a full synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1...

Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Stick with Natural oil for Precious, You hardly drive it, so there's no point in spending all that money on the expensive oil when you are going to change it after storage anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 AM

10 Year Member

I see your point...but what does synthetic cost really? About and extra $10-12 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart.

No matter how often you drive a car, synthetic oil is better at protecting your engine, especially in heat, which is when Precious is used the most. Also, the fact that Precious sits for long periods is yet another reason to use a synthetic IMO. Synthetics cling better, and flow faster. Therefore, because the car sits for so long, all the oil has drained to the bottom of the oil pan, and using a synthetic will get oil to all areas of that engine quicker than conventional oil.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM

What do you all think is the BEST oil filter?? I use the extended guard or K&N and It keeps me happy for about 45K, try to do it every 3K though, just because.
And hopping somone can help me here, what do you think of royal purple for oil??

Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM

10 Year Member

Royal Purple IS good oil. However, I think the cost is rediculous, AND it does not meet the American Petroleum Institute requirements. This does not mean its not a great oil. However A) its not good for warranty protection if you car is still under warranty. and B) Usually the reason it does not meet the API cert is because it has to much zinc in it, some Amsoil has this problem too. It makes for a great oil at protecting your engine. BUT, can ruin your catalytic converter.

As for oil filters, and the BEST ones: Mobil 1 EP, K&N, Purolator Pure One, and Fram Xtended Gaurd (it HAS to be the Xtended Gaurd one, its in a gold box, gold filter. The rest of the Fram's are crap).

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM

Well thats great, I dont have a cat LOL. And exaclty what Ive heard about the fram.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Stick with Natural oil for Precious, You hardly drive it, so there's no point in spending all that money on the expensive oil when you are going to change it after storage anyway.
My fiance says the same thing, but I only change the oil in Precious once a year cause I really only put about 1000 miles on it a year. But since it gets changed only once a year I think the extra cost is nil.

Quick Reply: Which oil