Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Which oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mobil 1 is NOT a non-synthetic motor oil. Anything with the Mobil 1 name on it is a FULL Synthetic motor oil, transmission fluid, grease, gear oil, etc. If it says MOBIL 1 the it IS a full synthetic. Personally Mobil 1 is the ONLY motor oil my Monte has ever seen in its 106,000 miles.

Now, that said the brand Mobil DOES have non-synthetics, such as Mobil Clean 5000 (conventional oil), or Mobil Clean 7500 (semi-synthetic). But as you see these do not carry the Mobil 1 name.

Here is Mobils website for refrence: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Oils/Oils.aspx

Also, if you see any car with a Mobil 1 oil filler cap from the factory, that means that the car came factory equipped with Mobil 1 oil, and REQUIRES synthetic oil.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oil man to the rescueeeeeeeeeee

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM

personally if it came withfrom the factory or no i alwasy put in synthetic no matter what. because i have a cougar xr7 v8 that has 350k on the motor that still uses 5w-20 and i wont go with any other oil. then full synthetic i dont think a motor wont reach that miles with out it. it is my opinion. when i replaced all of the gaskets on the cougar valve covers to the oil pan about 2k ago the whole engine looks super cleen on the inside. i was expecting a tint of black on the inside of the moving parts but no it was super cleen like new.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM

that i s one of the reason why i am sold on synthetic oil's. the original trans is the same way super clean on the inside when using synthetic. i was expecting to see some discoloration but no i am happy. what i mean about discoloration is this when engine and trans is warm there would be discoloration but i havent seen that with the cugar like i have seen with other power train's. that used regular oil regular oil i have seen them rebuilt alot sooner. also having alot of wear do to the regular oil. compare it with synthetic would be a travisty

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

I have been putting synthetic in all my cars for years...except my explorer cause I hate it and want it to die!
I never knew what compeled me to switch to synthetic, maybe I felt it was being more green...either way What I would like to know is, what the difference is, and if synthetic oil truely is better for the environment.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM

it allows the motor to run more effecent it is sliker than conventional if you put a drop of synthetic on one finger on one hand and feel it imbotween your fingers and regular oil on the other had you will notice the difference

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only way synthetic is really better for the environment is because generally you can stretch drain intervals on synthetics. Therefore you are changing your oil less often, and this means you have less old oil to dispose of, and you are using less new oil resources.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Default oil.......

Just had the oil changed in the MC. It has Mobil 1 synthetic in it
now. Don't know what was in there before ? The motor runs even smoother now. My 96 S10 has always had Quaker State 10W/30
and recently I've been adding Slick 50 High Mialeage to it. The truck loves it and havn't had any problems with sludge. It does have
a very slow drip at the main seal and sometimes it stops.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 AM

so i'm thinking of putting a full synthetic in. right now i have a synthetic blend in the monte and i'm pretty pleased, so i figure why not try full synthetic. do u need to do anything before u put full synthetic in or just dump it in?????

Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 AM

Just dump it in. Make sure to use a quality a filter, a fram just wont cut it. I prefer Bosch (autozone)and Purolator PureOne (Advance auto parts) filters.

Quick Reply: Which oil