Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oh geeze whats this??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Sorry about the leak, but at least you caught it......
Since my other car is not running ATM do you think I could get by driving like this for another 2 weeks?? There is absolutely no coolant in the oil but def oil in the coolant. I constantly monitor everything while driving and it seems ive been driving like this for a while now anyhow..

Thanks for the help for sure tho..

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Even if it's not dex, wonder if it is the gasket material itself (the factory nylon gaskets have a red rubbery material on them for the matting surfaces.
I agree with much of what Plumbob listed, but I differ at the injectors. Unless you are running some really bad gas in the car
You know, im gonna do the injectors anyway.. Ive come to find out in the last few/several months that the previous owner let this car go to hell.. Im gonna be safe and assume he didnt use premium all the time. I hope that isnt the case but im gonna be safe and just do them anyway..

Thanks for the help and a little side note, you gotta video of the horn on your monte by chance?? Seems kinda interesting..

Old 09-20-2017, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Yup, that's bad news. Good old "milkshake".

Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
You know, im gonna do the injectors anyway.. Ive come to find out in the last few/several months that the previous owner let this car go to hell.. Im gonna be safe and assume he didnt use premium all the time. I hope that isnt the case but im gonna be safe and just do them anyway..
Side note, the 3100/3400/L36 3800 do not require premium. My friends, family and I have or still are running these engines, 87 Octane all the way and with high miles. Rare has an injector failed (I think I know of one or two cases of a failed injection).
To my knowledge, premium is not related to injector health and longevity. It would be tied to your tune and potential knock issues.

I know everyone has a difference in opinion on the topic of coils and injectors. If it were my car and I was not having any signs of injector issues, I would leave it (partly because my last experience with an injector was about $70 for one injector). But, I also understand the concept of "peace of mind", as I have changed things others would have skipped because I wanted the piece of mind while I was doing the job.

Hopefully getting everything fixed does not present any problems or surprises.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member

Side note, the 3100/3400/L36 3800 do not require premium. My friends, family and I have or still are running these engines, 87 Octane all the way and with high miles. Rare has an injector failed (I think I know of one or two cases of a failed injection).
To my knowledge, premium is not related to injector health and longevity. It would be tied to your tune and potential knock issues.

I know everyone has a difference in opinion on the topic of coils and injectors. If it were my car and I was not having any signs of injector issues, I would leave it (partly because my last experience with an injector was about $70 for one injector). But, I also understand the concept of "peace of mind", as I have changed things others would have skipped because I wanted the piece of mind while I was doing the job.

I don't disagree with you Jason, I just work on a different philosophy linked to that "peace of mind thing". My theory is...nothing lasts forever and if you have to remove it to replace something else, and it's affordable, and you plan to keep the car you might as well replace it and be ahead of the game. For the cost of $120 for a set of six brand new OEM ones that's cheaper than having them professionally cleaned. True, they don't fail often, but when they do they can be tricky to diagnose without a Tech 2, or scanner that can emulate one.
One other thing I would replace is the radiator, especially with that goop in there. It'll take forever (if ever) to flush out and they recommend replacing it every 10-12 years. The newer radiators don't have near the surface area of older ones and the metal is thinner so they wear out faster. I have two 2000 SS's and have had a 2001 and 2003 SS, and have had to replace the radiators on every one for one reason or another.

Last edited by plumbob; 09-23-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
I don't disagree with you Jason, I just work on a different philosophy linked to that "peace of mind thing". My theory is...nothing lasts forever and if you have to remove it to replace something else, and it's affordable, and you plan to keep the car you might as well replace it and be ahead of the game. For the cost of $120 for a set of six brand new OEM ones that's cheaper than having them professionally cleaned. True, they don't fail often, but when they do they can be tricky to diagnose without a Tech 2, or scanner that can emulate one.
One other thing I would replace is the radiator, especially with that goop in there. It'll take forever (if ever) to flush out and they recommend replacing it every 10-12 years. The newer radiators don't have near the surface area of older ones and the metal is thinner so they wear out faster. I have two 2000 SS's and have had a 2001 and 2003 SS, and have had to replace the radiators on every one for one reason or another.
I went and made a new topic about this when I should have just continued here but can either of you give me a list of specific parts I need regarding the gaskets and coolant elbows?? Recommendation of a radiator also would be appreciated. Obviously I am wanting the metal or metal cored ones from fel-pro im just getting a little confused looking online.. *Just a little..

Remember this is for the supercharged 3800..

Thanks a bunch for your help guys..

Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member

Here you go, used Rockauto.com for the source.

(1) LIM gasket set:
FEL-PRO MS98014T {#MIS16203A} PermaDryPlus®; Intake Manifold Gasket Set 2nd Design; w/Rubber-plastic end seals w/Locating pins; Lower set only; Upper set not included.; PermaDryPlus® int. manifold Gaskets. incl. $49.79

(1) Plenum gasket set:
FEL-PRO MS95744 {#MS16355} Info
Plenum Gasket Set; Upper set
[Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] ($5.01)

(1) Radiator:
I've listed two of the four brands listed at Rockauto. I've used both and haven't had a problem with either, but I usually choose ACDelco when given a choice. You'll need to drill out the "knock out" blank in the port for the "low coolant" sensor (if you have one) on either. You might want a new radiator cap too, they don't come with one.

>SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT CU2710 {#10324030, 15140506} $80.79
or
>ACDELCO 21556 {#10324030, 15140506, 21472} GM Original Equipment Info
Excluding SEO POLICE CAR, Limited Content (9C3); CORE SIZE 30-5/16 X 14 6/16 X 9/16; Used on vehicles w/Bevel Washer at Transmission Oil Cooler; Quick Connect Fitting $128.79

Coolant elbows: (Gates), but I think their the same as Dorman, one is putting their name on the other:
GATES 9105119 {#24503423, 47065, 47065HP} Hose Connectors (Aluminum)
Category: Heater Hose Connector $3.21

Last edited by plumbob; 09-25-2017 at 09:19 PM.