Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A problem with an odd fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A problem with an odd fix

OK, so I had this problem with my 02 SS and the fix was kind of odd. Many years working on cars and this one stumped for a while. I was having some tranny shifting issues. Especially on the highway, the tranny would sometimes go in and out of lock up. It was getting frustrating as no line pressure problems or any electrical connection problems could be found. Later, I started having even more shifting problems in the lower gears, and I thought my tranny was about to go. I did replace the shifter solenoids about 1 year ago and it ran fine up until recently. Then one day the CEL came on and I got a code for the TPS. Oh, OK, so let's replace that and be done with it.

So I change that, reset the computer. The car runs good for a couple of days and the same issues come up again. I'm checking this and that, wondering what the deal is. It turned out to be the PLUG for the TPS and not the sensor itself. Rarely do I ever need to replace a plug for a sensor. So I had to order the plug. It comes in, and of course in the manufacture's wisdom, they change the locations of the wires. 3 colors that I had to cross connect so it was factory correct.

I put that in, hooked it up, and no tranny shifting issues now. Just wanted to let you guys know about this in case you start having the same problem. It's not what I would look for when the TC unlocks while driving.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a similar problem but the TPS was actually defective. It put the trans. into maximum adapt/long shift (limp home) mode. I also learned you need to align the inner spring wound bar on the inner face of the TPS when installing it or you'll end up with the same problem you started with.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
I had a similar problem but the TPS was actually defective. It put the trans. into maximum adapt/long shift (limp home) mode. I also learned you need to align the inner spring wound bar on the inner face of the TPS when installing it or you'll end up with the same problem you started with.

Yea, when putting in the new sensor, you have to misalign the holes first and twist it a little to line them up. This sets your base idle. That the plug or one of the wires went bad was a new one on me. And it was so intermittent that I could never find it.