Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

OBDII Scanner / Reader Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Default OBDII Scanner / Reader Recommendation

New owner of a 2007 Monte Carlo SS.

Just wanted you guys opinion on what is a good solid scanner / codereader for the monte that will give all the detailed information. Im willing to pay the higher price tags so I want to get one as an investment but I want to make sure it will read my model.

The only one that I have been able to search and verify is the Actron 9580a and they seem to be impossible to find. will the 9580 or other models work with the monte ???

Thank you,

Old 12-25-2017, 06:37 PM

All OBD It scanners will work with any vehicle from 1996 on that don't have the words "Mercedes Benz" on them.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 AM

Listen, check out something called Torque pro.. Its an app for your phone then you buy one of them cheap OBDII plugs and connect via bluetooth.. Reads an info any other scanner can but for a few things, custom PIDs need to be setup.. Check it out before you spend a ton of money on a regular scanner and see if it can take care of what you may need..

Old 12-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not all ODB-II readers do the same things. All the ones you typically see read just the PCM.

You can buy a knock-off GM Tech II these days pretty cheap and is probably way more then most people need (but for a GM car pre-ODB-II up to a 2014 ODB-II car) does everything (some features may require a subscription to GM's tech line).

You can buy a cheap $20-$50 hand-held unit from the auto parts store, Amazon, and tons of other sources. But odds are those will not read BCM, ABS or other non-PCM codes.

I agree with wht02monte, get a Bluetooth ODB-II device (I believe it's an ELM 327). They are dirt cheap (sometimes less then $10). After that, pair it to your phone and you can use it with free apps like Torque or there are some low cost apps that can do additional features. But this is a very convenient scan tool and it's functionality is limited to your app on your phone or the software you get for a laptop. Nice to be wireless!!

Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 PM

I just picked up an Autel off Amazon a few weeks ago. Supposed to be able to do all of the different modules. Still haven't had much chance to play around with it, but they do have a wide range of options depending on how serious of a tool you're looking for.