Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Check this for overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Check this for overheating

My coolant was being pushed into the overflow can and My car was overheating. Multiple people told me it was a cracked head and that the exhaust pressure was pushing the water out. I got a radiator leak tester and found the plastic elbows for the heater were leaking. While I had it, I checked the radiator cap. It was holding 0 psi of pressure when it was supposed to hold 17 psi. I fixed the elbows, of course, and replaced the radiator cap. No more water was pushed into the overflow can and it no longer overheated.
So, it was a radiator cap and not a cracked head.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by den942
My coolant was being pushed into the overflow can and My car was overheating. Multiple people told me it was a cracked head and that the exhaust pressure was pushing the water out. I got a radiator leak tester and found the plastic elbows for the heater were leaking. While I had it, I checked the radiator cap. It was holding 0 psi of pressure when it was supposed to hold 17 psi. I fixed the elbows, of course, and replaced the radiator cap. No more water was pushed into the overflow can and it no longer overheated.
So, it was a radiator cap and not a cracked head.
It was good you took the extra steps to check it out.
Many times you bring this subject up and the folks you are talking with recall an earlier issue that may have caused the problem and this is the first thing they blurt out.
I like to check the simple things first many times it is a small issue causing the pain.
A cracked head will have other symptoms that you will see in the exhaust and the dipstick.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:07 PM

Sounds like you figured out why it over heated using the pressure tester. Does it run fine now ? Temp gauge normal now ? One easy test for a cracked head is to use the pressure tester to pump the system up to about 12 psi , if the exhaust gas is getting into the system you will notice the pressure gauge rising , Won't tell you if it is a head or gasket , just that pressure is getting into system. Other things like milky oil on oil fill cap or on dipstick or a obvious engine miss might be other sign's.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Sounds like you figured out why it over heated using the pressure tester. Does it run fine now ? Temp gauge normal now ? One easy test for a cracked head is to use the pressure tester to pump the system up to about 12 psi , if the exhaust gas is getting into the system you will notice the pressure gauge rising , Won't tell you if it is a head or gasket , just that pressure is getting into system. Other things like milky oil on oil fill cap or on dipstick or a obvious engine miss might be other sign's.
Running temp is normal and no coolant lost in months now. I was even told I had exhaust gasses in the cooling system when they tested it. Apparently it did not.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
It was good you took the extra steps to check it out.
Many times you bring this subject up and the folks you are talking with recall an earlier issue that may have caused the problem and this is the first thing they blurt out.
I like to check the simple things first many times it is a small issue causing the pain.
A cracked head will have other symptoms that you will see in the exhaust and the dipstick.
I can no longer work on cars like I used to. When I was told about $1,100 to fix it, I decided to find out if I had to spend that for sure. I got loaner testers from an auto parts store. I'm sure glad I checked it out.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by den942
Running temp is normal and no coolant lost in months now. I was even told I had exhaust gasses in the cooling system when they tested it. Apparently it did not.
Wow, and just think how much more money you would have given (whatever "shop") them if you didnt know any better.. Thats the world today..