Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Obd ii

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Obd ii

Just wanted some opinions regarding OBD II scan tools. The newest car I own is about to be 10 years old, so I expect I will only see a greater and greater need for such a tool. Without spending a ton of money, what should I look to purchase? I just want to read and decipher codes when the dreaded "check engine" light rears its ugly head. Oh, and be able to clear the code and turn off that god awful light as well. Any suggestions provided are greatly appreciated. Thanks MCF!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bluetooth adapters are super cheap, and then you can pair them to your phone to see and clear codes, as well as some active tables while driving.

I have a ScanGaugeII permanently in the Monte, and it's decent.

I used to have one of these to read and clear codes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I have since given it to my father so that he has something to read codes with.

Now I use my HPTuners for pretty much everything.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM

I still have an old scantool that I bought over a decade ago, and I also have a bluetooth deal that plugs into the OBDII port as well. I still keep the old scantool around for when I'm helping someone else with their car, although when I get the 78 back on the road I'll probably keep the bluetooth permanently in there (it has a 98 model L31 Vortec) and either just use the old scantool for my day to day stuff or buy another bluetooth dongle.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 AM

I've used one of those innovas. It's been good enough to read abs, srs, dtc as well as read live data.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The ELM based BlueTooth adapters are super cheap. Pair it to your phone and there are basic/free tools and cheap tools with more features. Such as most basic tools can read just the PCM codes (Check Engine) and display some gauge readings. A member here found an app for like $10 that also read ABS codes.

Depending how crazy you want to get, professional tools are getting cheaper to get used (such as some Snap-On scan tools). Or even a "knock off" GM Tech II (complete, I think you can get one new for $300-$400 and that tool is good up to 2014 cars).

Some of it depends on the cars you want to connect with. My Bluetooth adapter would not work with my friend's Dodge Mini-Van (the van is too new I am guessing or maybe I needed a newer/different app).

I personally think the bluetooth one is the most attractive option (cheap, small, wireless, pairs with your phone and from there it's up to the app you have on your phone as to what it can do).

Old 10-22-2016, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

Depending how crazy you want to get, professional tools are getting cheaper to get used (such as some Snap-On scan tools). Or even a "knock off" GM Tech II (complete, I think you can get one new for $300-$400 and that tool is good up to 2014 cars).
I had no idea you could get a Tech II that cheap. I need to pick one up for when I get the 4L80E in the 78. Gonna have to adjust some parameters on the PCM since the drivetrain will be in a Camaro and not a 3/4 ton pickup like it came out of.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 AM

10 Year Member

Here is a link for a Tech II:
https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Suppo...rds=gm+tech+ii

But the Tech II does not let you change parameters on the PCM. You need a tuning device like a DHP PowrTuner or a HP Tuner device and a laptop. The Tech II is made to re-program a BCM or PCM with stock parameters. The PCM programming for a certain year range requires a dongle and for others requires a subscription with GM. I know a guy with a knock-off Tech II and he did not go for the dongle or the subscription because his needs to program a blank PCM just are not there. But I have messed with the Tech II and it's pretty slick.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Here is a link for a Tech II:
https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Suppo...rds=gm+tech+ii

But the Tech II does not let you change parameters on the PCM. You need a tuning device like a DHP PowrTuner or a HP Tuner device and a laptop. The Tech II is made to re-program a BCM or PCM with stock parameters. The PCM programming for a certain year range requires a dongle and for others requires a subscription with GM. I know a guy with a knock-off Tech II and he did not go for the dongle or the subscription because his needs to program a blank PCM just are not there. But I have messed with the Tech II and it's pretty slick.
I thought you could change rear gearing numbers/tire height with the Tech II, as well as tell the PCM exactly which transmission it's controlling (unless they've changed it, you can't do the last part with the tuning software I've looked at). That's the main thing I need. As long as it's sat waiting for me to finish getting the transmission together, I'm not messing with the motor anytime soon.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM

10 Year Member

I've played a decent amount with a Tech II and the options vary based on the car. But messing with my Grand Am and Monte (both 04's), I have not seen anything to change gearing or tire information. Options can be if the car is equipped with keyless entry, or reprogram a radio. There is no PCM tuning of any kind.