Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No Start, Weird things?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No Start, Weird things?

Hello to everyone, great little forum here, lots of info and knowledge in one place.

Background info on car:
I have an 03 Monte SS. Only mods I have is a viper alarm system, no remote start, just alarm. It was installed in 03 a week after I got the car. Approx. 6-9months ago replaced the battery. I am trying to get a plan of attack for in the morning. It's dark no garage...

Problem:
Won't start...just clicking, battery is, well should be fine...thats the first thing to check i know. Also some really weird stuff going on with the ignition cylinder, when I attempt to start the gauges go nuts pegging back and forth, I hear popping noises through the speakers, lights on the dash, flicker dimming in and out. I turn the key back to off and pull the key out and it keeps doing it, its like its not turned all the way off? I did manage to get the car jumped to get home, took a freaking dodge truck to jump it,lol. When I did get it jumped the lights on the dash still flickered. Oh when I jiggle the key the dash goes nuts again. I told you this is wierd. When I tried my wifes key, it still wouldn't start but it won't jiggle its not as worn and my key.

Is there an easywayto checking/bypassing the ignition to see if thats the problem? I guess voltage drops or check resistance? But how the heck can I get to it? I'm capable of doing it I just don't know a good starting point. Any help is appreciated. I have tried searching the forum but, didn't see anything that applied, might be wrong on that, maybe someone else has had this issue before? Thanks in advance.I Look forward to using this foruma lot.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Default RE: No Start, Weird things?

wow...ive never heard this before, do u have a spare key for the car? if so try that because the jiggling the key and havin lights turn on is very confusing...however check your battery connections to make sure they r secure and check ur battery jsut to be sure it is good. have you ever had ur airbox off? the pcm is located inside the airbox i would make sure that all the connections are secure to the pcm...as for voltage drops and resistance i would check between your battery to the constant power to your ignition...high resistance would indicate a bad wire or a bad connection, voltage drop would indicate the same...

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I don't think it's the PCM. I think it's the BCM. Body Control Module. I had one go out in my '01 SS LE, and it did all kinds of weird things like that, also. Clicking, lights flickering, etc.
I hope it's a bad connection somewhere, tho.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: kweef

wow...ive never heard this before, do u have a spare key for the car? if so try that because the jiggling the key and havin lights turn on is very confusing...however check your battery connections to make sure they r secure and check ur battery jsut to be sure it is good. have you ever had ur airbox off? the pcm is located inside the airbox i would make sure that all the connections are secure to the pcm...as for voltage drops and resistance i would check between your battery to the constant power to your ignition...high resistance would indicate a bad wire or a bad connection, voltage drop would indicate the same...
Yeah I tried my wifes key, it don't jiggle as much, its not as worn but still does it. I tried jumping the car this morning with no luck, only thing i had to use was my wife cavalier not enough juice to start it. I check the battery before attempting to jump it was at 8volts, so I know thats one issue but it should recharge once I get it running again. I wanted to get it running to see if the alternator was charging properly. I don't think the battery or the alternator is this issue, but check the simple stuff first.

Is there anywhere on here that has pictures of how to disassemble the dash to get to the ignition? By god I hope its not the BCM, who knows how much that is. i havent had the airbox off, opened yes, just to change the filter, not recently though.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Update:

Ok got the the car jumped from a jump box, let it run while i went around the block, when I pulled into the parking lot, the thing went nuts again, guages went crazy, and flickering, then the battery light in the info center came on, then went away, then the security light came on and stayed on, let it run for a few more minutes, then turned it off, but if wont start again and the security light is flashing when i turn the key to "run" position.

Is this the BCM issue? or some kind of a security issue? If its a security issue, would the viper alarm cause this? If so why now its been installed on the car since new, with no issues. Alsowhy can I jump start the car with a security issue?? Im really freaking out cause I don't know where to start checking things.

Will a standard OBDII code reader look at security codes? or is that a TechII only thing.HELP, PLEASE

Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Update II:

OMG!! Nevermind, got it running again, wow what a day. This car does some really strange things with low voltage. I was testing evrything. I even pulled the starter.lol(what a retard). I put it all back together jumped it again, check alternator and everything was good, so turned it off and still wouldn't start again. So i finally took the battery out and took it to wal-mart(where i bought it), dude checked it, said "go get another one, it failed load test. Installed the new battery, started first crank.lol

Lesson learned: .....just because you have a new battery don't mean its a good one....

ORIGINAL: 03.SS.montecarlo

Update:

Ok got the the car jumped from a jump box, let it run while i went around the block, when I pulled into the parking lot, the thing went nuts again, guages went crazy, and flickering, then the battery light in the info center came on, then went away, then the security light came on and stayed on, let it run for a few more minutes, then turned it off, but if wont start again and the security light is flashing when i turn the key to "run" position.

Is this the BCM issue? or some kind of a security issue? If its a security issue, would the viper alarm cause this? If so why now its been installed on the car since new, with no issues. Alsowhy can I jump start the car with a security issue?? Im really freaking out cause I don't know where to start checking things.

Will a standard OBDII code reader look at security codes? or is that a TechII only thing.HELP, PLEASE