Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No electrical, no interior lights, no brake light, no electric fuse panel under hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No electrical, no interior lights, no brake light, no electric fuse panel under hood

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any ideas on what’s wrong with my car? I have an 05 SS. I replaced the radiator and removed the battery in the process. I put everything back together properly and now there is no power to the interior, the brake lights don’t even work. No fuel pump sound when I connect the battery.

I tried to diagnose and checked the battery first, it’s ok. Using a Fluke meter, I checked the power to the alternator, that’s ok. I checked the power to the starter, that’s ok. The wires coming out the starter to the computer test ok and tested by touching the ground to the chassis, that’s ok. I have no voltage on the terminals at the fuse panel on the wheel well under the hood.

What is going on here? There’s nothing reason I’m not getting any power to the interior, key or brake lights.

can someone please help???

Old 07-30-2020, 12:11 AM

Disconnecting the battery for the amount of time to replace the radiator probably caused the computer to go into a security mode that disables the interior and engine systems. There is a reset procedure here somewhere but it doesn't work for mine - my car will sit "in a coma" for 1/2 to 3 days and then the key fob will unlock the doors and turn on the interior lights and the car will start and operate fine. My guess is that the settings memory no longer has much capacity and drains when the battery is disconnected for a long period of time. If you have the factory radio, do you see the security light blinking or just faintly glowing? If its just glowing, you may have the same issue.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member

It’s not a factory radio. I have not even the faintest light anywhere. It’s acting as if there isn’t a battery at all. I get 12v at the starter and alternator, using the chassis as a ground. There’s no voltage across the terminals on the fuse panel that is attached to the wheel well under the hood. I have a throw pole disconnect on the battery for when I store it over the winter, it’s gone months with no battery and I never had this happen before.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 AM

A while back I had something like you describe.. I touched pos with neg and popped a fuse or relay that in turn killed power to one of those boxes under the hood. Sorry I cannot remember the exact situation tho.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 AM

Are you sure all ground wires are connected back again?

Old 07-30-2020, 07:13 PM

I am having same problem with mine...I have power every where but now start engine will not even turn over there is a ground that goes in the fuse box off the battery is that broke?

Old 07-31-2020, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Derek
I am having same problem with mine...I have power every where but now start engine will not even turn over there is a ground that goes in the fuse box off the battery is that broke?
sounds more like antitheft module. pull the fuse for antitheft for 30 seconds, reinstall wait a little bit, see if that works.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by volkerc
sounds more like antitheft module. pull the fuse for antitheft for 30 seconds, reinstall wait a little bit, see if that works.
Would they have that "security" light if this was the problem?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Default Update

I disconnected the fuse/relay block from all wires and the terminals and also disconnected the wiring harness from the fuse/relay block, plus, took all the relays out of the block and it is is showing no resistance between the pos and meg terminals on the block. I believe one of the fuse/relay panels is shorted/grounded out. I am going to try to replace them. Hopefully, that’s it.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Would they have that "security" light if this was the problem?
no. power everywhere, turn the key, nothing happens. starter won't turn engine over.