Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

No power!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Default No power!

Hello everyone . This is my first posting/thread on here. I've recently obtained an '01 SS that isn't in running condition . I don't think it will take much to get running well, but the 1st issue in getting this car in running order is to figure out why I'm not getting any power whatsoever ANYWHERE! I tried to charge the battery...NOTHING . I tried to jump the car...NOTHING . It has to be a fuse....which one and where? Can anyone help?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do the interior lights or anything work? If the battery is totally junk, you would get nothing. That's my 1st guess. Pull it and take in to get tested. (You need to remove the strut brace). Guaranteed they will say it's bad, but ask them HOW bad. Check it at lower settings. If you have a car with the same battery, switch batteries (free).
If the lights work, but no starter, could be the ignition switch. I'd guess that over the starter.
No fuses in the main circuit as far as I know

Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Check all the simple stuff first like Wayne has mentioned before going to the dealer about the Passlock that I mentioned in the PM.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply guys! Yeah it's totally dead...no interior lights or anything. Acts as if there is no battery. The battery is showing good. I has to be something other than the battery because I tried to hook it up to jumper cables and still had no lights or anything. As far as the PassLock idea I don't think its that either, because I read up on the passlock and my understanding of it is it just disables the fuel and doesn't completely disable all power (i.e interior lights) when turning car on to AC or Start.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM

What about using a multi meter to check to see where the power is stopping at? if you think thats a good idea at what points under the hood should I check?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

the 6th gen i have not had much experiance but have you checked the cables...run wire (if it has one) check all fueses anyways...

Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Cables seem fine and all fuses look good...anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Using a multi-meter, check to see if ANY of the fuses have any power. You've got a bad wire somewhere. Check the connections on the battery. Take them off and clean them. Is the alternator wire OK? Do a continuity test on the 2 main cables.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 PM

All the fuses in both fuse boxes under the hood seem to check out at 12.65 (also getting 12.65 on the battery too) except for the ones listed below....

Fuel Injectors 15A
Trans Sol 10A
A/C Rly (Coil) 10A
Eng Devices 10A
DFI MDL 15A
Oxy Sen 15A

These don't register anything. From my understanding these fuses don't get anything till the ignition is turned on. Ok...next question. Since my battery is sending power to the fuse panels under the hood where does the power go from there? The ignition? Or is there something before it?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:44 AM

Have you check the neutral position switch to make sure it's engaging in the park/neutral position? Also check the starter and make sure the motor pinion isn't jammed up, or a faulty solenoid. Have you checked the ignition switch too? If there are any wires that are loose/disconnected you'll never get it started. I'd problems with the park neutral position switch in another car before and I jumped through hoops until I figured it out. It wasn't fun! Good luck with the car.

Quick Reply: No power!