Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New monte needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Default New monte needs help

Well, i have had the car for almost a month. the check engine light came on....it pulled up a code for the tps, and the catalytic convertor....

i knew the code for the cat would pop up because there is no cat.....but the tps made me wonder

the problems i have from the car is the idle...its not that its irratic but it has odd spots to choose to idle....anywhere from under 1k to 3k.....

is it possible to just clean the tps, or should i replace it?

the other problem i am having is the transmission. its not slipping and has no problem with overdrive....most of the time it shifts fine....besides from a little stiff.

it doesnt want to shift out of first......it will run fine if i tromp it and shift between 1st and 2nd.....sorta try whatever gear will get it to shift you know.

and once i get it to shift, it runs fine......sometimes even turning the car off will make it go back to shifting...

it also feels like it trys to "pull" against me when im breaking......

im new to the monte carlos.....it is a 96, with the 3.1 engine.....

also i think its time for a trans flush and filter change.....just not sure where to start...

any ideas would be much appriciated......

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: New monte needs help

First off, get the code for your cat deleted by someone with a scanner to get the light out. Second, just replace the TPS, its not really an expensive part, and you cant really clean it. Run a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner through the car and see what happens.
DO NOT get your transmission flushed. Just drain all the fluid in the pan and drain the torque converter. Flushes on older cars is not a good idea.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 PM

the only exception to that Matt. is if you have owned it since the git go and kept up on it.
then you know it has been done on time every time. but if ya dont know then dont flush it out just change and refill.

MAKE SUR EYOU USE THE RIGHT FLUID ALSO!! I have seen folks use the wrong stuff.
and that will screw thigns up for you to

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 PM

checked the fluid.....its kinda brownish so thats goina get changed......does it sound like a tranny problem or just filter?

ive read about a sensor that controls the pressure.....whats that all about?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Well when you thromp on the transmission its going to shift harder because of more line pressure than if you drive it softly. I think if you may be okay if you change the trans fluid. When I had my flush on my car the trans shop ran a machine at a low pressure, I mean low pressure to try to clean it out and I haven't had any problem since. If you are still experiencing the shifting problem then I would go to a trusted shop and just ask about the shift issue. I don't know much about transmissions, but I know on my last vehicle it had a line pressure regulator and I don't know if these have it or not. Keep us updated and welcome to the MCF.