Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: new leak, have ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 AM
1 Year Member
Default new leak, have ideas

so I noticed new puddles on my driveway the other day...thought it was oil at first...coming from in between my oil pan and trans pan just to left center of the car.

This wouldnt make much sense however because i had my oil pan done professionally at a buick/gmc dealer in town less than 20k miles ago, while it is still a possibility its leaking again, id seriously hope that it was more unlikely. It could also be the rear main (worst case, IMO), however id like to leave that to be the very last thing to check, because it requires quite a bit of work to replace. In addition, i let the car sit all weekend, and a new puddle still appeared underneath, leading me to further shy away from an oil based leak.

My trans dipstick is still quite full, and ive never noticed it falling below the level that its at currently.

SO, this leads me to believe that its the valve just before the pinion gear. This component has always had quite a bit of gunk built up from a small leak i knew it had, maybe it finally just let go? I have yet to check the PS fluid after its gotten hot, im gonna do that at lunch time today.

Any other ideas from all you members?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So did you determine if it is in fact oil or tranny fluid? Color, smell? If it is oil get a light and look at your oil pressure sending unit? They tend to fail bit by bit leaking small amounts at first. It's on the right side of your engine, but the fluid may follow some channels on the cradel and drip through other than directly below the unit. Just a guess...

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 AM
1 Year Member

i rubbed the freshest spot with my fingers and no noticable smell and couldnt really tell if it was viscous or not, but then again it was already soaked into the asphalt, im gonna have to get under there and look to get some fresh fluid off the location (when i find the time, life gets in the way) :/